xviii. news

c h a p t e r e i g h t e e n
___________________

Sunday morning, Isabella texted me saying she was sorry if she ever did something stupid towards me when she got drunk. I texted her back to tell her she didn't do anything. I only lied because she'd make a big deal out of it.

The next few days before the first game of the season, the silent treatment between Ava and I had dissipated. She'd often catch my stares and return it with a small smile. Even though we haven't acknowledged what happened over the past days, I was just glad we avoided each other less.

Thursday afternoon, I was sitting in Calculus as Ava began to call out our names to hand our test results from last week's exams. I was a bit agitated while I waited for my name to be called. I guess I just wanted to do well in my classes this year. Not that I didn't do any good in my junior year. But this year was my last so I was more or less trying hard to get straight As.

"Chace."

My head shot up at the mention of my name and I promptly stood up from my seat. She watched me as I walked up to her. She handed over my paper, her eyes never leaving mine. I wished I could tuck the strand of stray away hair that was framing her face, but I knew I couldn't do that. Our fingers grazed and I knew very well then the tingling feeling it left me when she pulled away. Somewhere inside me hated that I couldn't just grab her hand.

Before I walked back to my seat, she said something that only the both of us can hear, "Stay after class."

I only raised an eyebrow at her and didn't protest. Then, with a small nod, I proceeded back. She finished up with a few words and the bell rang in perfect timing. I stood up after the students flushed out of the room. Ava then closed the door behind her and faced me.

"I haven't had the chance to thank you for staying with Isabella while you waited for me to come and pick her up."

I shrugged, "It was the right thing to do. Plus, she had too much to drink. Anyone could've taken advantage of her."

"Yes, and I have to thank you for that. However, I'm not fond of the two of you using a fake id just to get in that club. For Pete's sake, Chace, what were you two thinking?" She put a hand on her face and shook her head.

"It wasn't our fault. Dylan might have made us the fake ids but I promise you we won't do it again. Hell, I wasn't even planning on going that night but Ronnie dragged me into it."

"I knew it," she sighed.

"Sorry."

"Right. Anyway, I wanted to ask you something before you head off to your last period."

I angled my head to the right and said, "You don't have any class after this?"

"No," she walked over to her desk and sat down her chair. I looked at her to see she was writing me a hall pass. I stood a few meters from her and spoke, "So, the question?"

She finished writing the hall pass and extended it to me as she said, "Are you and Isabella together?"

I almost choked on my own saliva and instantly replied, "What? No. Why would you ask that? Wait, did she say something to you?"

"No. I saw you two kissing each other."

I took the note from her and looked her in the eyes, "Okay, first of all, she kissed me. And second of all, I told you she was drunk."

Ava released another sigh, "Good."

"Good what?"

"Nothing. You should head to class." She averted her gaze away from me and I can't help but wonder what she was thinking at the very moment. I wanted to ask her, but decided not to anyway. Who knows it would probably end badly just like the last time. Nodding at her, I turned on my heel and proceeded to the door as I go to my last class of the afternoon.

-x-

School hours came by pretty fast Friday and it was now soccer practice. The whole team was eager and determined this time seeing that tomorrow was the first game. It was practically giving us a lot of pressure since the soccer team last year won the finals, so we wanted to do our best and make a huge amount of effort.

We did passing drills first and then some dribbling drills. After that, Ava made us do the shooting and control drills; receiving throw-ins and corner kicks. When practice was over, she made us gather together so Coach Warren could say something. She gave us loads of encouragement and reminded us about what we've learned during the days of our practice. Ava also gave us words of boost and support, making us all feel lightened. And just like that, we were dismissed.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Isabella jog towards Ava in the sidelines. Her mouth moved as she spoke. Up until now, I couldn't get over the truth of them being related. It seemed so unreal. And I think that's maybe because I haven't seen them interact that much in school.

An hour later, Ronnie dropped me off at my apartment and decided to stay in for dinner. We ordered Chinese takeout and ate it in the living room while we watched a movie. He kept on making commentaries during the movie and I just ignored him. He got up from the couch and walked to the kitchen. I looked over my shoulder to see him rummaging through my fridge.

The doorbell suddenly rang and Ronnie called to me, "I'll get it."

"Looking good, Fred!" I turned around to see Fred walking in. He sees me and gives me a wave.

"Fred, hey, I thought you were gonna come by tomorrow morning before you leave," I told him.

He settled by the kitchen island and looked at me with an expression I couldn't comprehend. I turned the television off and walked over to him. He then said, "I have to tell you something and this cannot wait until tomorrow."

My best friend checked at me, sensing that it might be a private conversation, and he spoke, "I'll go."

Fred stopped Ronnie before he could walk out the door, "It's okay, Ronnie. You don't have to do."

"Okay..." He replied with his face looking confused. He sat on the island stool across Fred and I stood right behind him while we waited for the old man to say something.

"The Westport Police Department just called me a few hours ago. They told me the cold murder case of your parents has been reopened and the FBI's currently handling it as of the moment."

"Westport? As in, where Chace lived before?" Ronnie asked. And I suddenly froze. I pulled at the collar of my shirt, feeling like I'm starting to sweat.

Fred nodded, "Yes. They said they reopened the case in light of likely new information," his eyes cast on mine with a hint of worry, "Chace, they have a possible lead on the suspects."

I blinked, "W-what?"

He gave me a small smile, "It's not definite yet but I'm sure they have a solid information."

"That's good news, right?" Ronnie turned to me and smiled. I wished I shared the same physical response, but all I could do was remain silent because I didn't know what to say or what to feel. However, there was this happiness, and a tint of anger bubbling inside me. Finally. My subconscious said. Perhaps soon, it'll be the end to those fucking pigs who murdered my parents and I'll be able to rid myself of all those tragic memories. I just hoped, this time, I can escape through the traumatic madness.