xv. viewpoint

c h a p t e r f i f t e e n
___________________

[ Ava's POV ]

I remembered the first time we met. It was in Dr. Giada's office, in the lobby, to be precise. I was accompanying someone close to me at that time, and when I spotted her fiddling with the vending machine, I stepped in to offer my help. She looked different, a good different kind of beauty. The kind where her facial features are distinct and unique in some way. I asked her if she was mixed at some point and she told me she's, in fact, half Korean.

I knew then that there was something about her that made me feel an unfamiliar attraction towards her.

It was refreshing, to say the least, because it was an uncommon territory for me to walk into. Although it wasn't the first time I felt an attraction to the same sex. However, this, this was, by all accounts, atypical. The way she raked her eyes over my entire body while I slipped a bill into the vending machine; it mentally send shivers down to my spine. And in that instant, I knew I was completely attracted to her.

When she told me her name, it quickly sunk into my mind. Chace. She said she was in there with someone for therapy. For a second, I thought it was sweet for a pretty girl to accompany someone who's going through therapy. It's heartwarming to know she's there for that person.

The next day, I started my teaching job at a well-renowned school in the city. It wasn't my first time teaching but I had to leave my last job due to personal reasons. I moved here just about two months ago and I adjusted right in.

I was, at the very least, surprised when Chace suddenly walked in the classroom. Naturally, I had to act normal and pretend that she wasn't the girl whom I shamelessly eyed up and down yesterday.

Few days forward, there were times wherein she'd audaciously flirt with me. It wasn't subtle, I tell you. And every time she does so, I brushed it off and constantly remind myself that I was her teacher and she was just my student.

That day, when the rain poured heavily and I found her by the entrance, I offered her a ride. I still felt the way she wrapped her arm around my waist so we would fit under my umbrella and avoid the rain. My heartbeat was frantic at that. I didn't know why but that reciprocated gesture made me scatty. It wasn't long until we reached to her place and she was struggling with the seatbelt, in which I moved to help her. We were too close that I could feel her gaze on me as I struggled to help with her seatbelt. I figured our proximity was out of the line so I pulled away immediately.

During the team building Saturday, it was past four o'clock and the girls were playing the binocular soccer game Emily- Coach Warren- was talking about. My eyes were on Chace the entire time. She stood out because she was leaner and taller than the other girls. And even though she looked silly in her binoculars, it was exhilarating to watch her play. Although I never played the sport, I've had my fair share of knowledge when it came to soccer. I've watched countless games on television together with my father who was an avid soccer enthusiast.

It was only then I noticed Chace toppling on the ground that got me worried. It wasn't anyone's fault. It was an accident and she wasn't aware of another player coming up beside her to steal the ball, which caused her to fall over. We shortly called it off. Emily and I watch as Isabella helped Chace while they walked towards us. Despite the fact that I knew Chace could walk just fine and the other girl had to offer her help; it made something trickle inside me. After Emily told me to go with Chace, Isabella went back to the field and they resumed the game.

"Can you walk?" I asked her.

She stood up from the bench almost speedily and replied, "It's just a few minor gashes. I'm perfectly fine."