xiii. shun

c h a p t e r   t h i r t e e n 
___________________

    When I got out of the locker room, Isabella popped out of nowhere, making me jolt in surprise. She fixated her gaze on me with concern, "Are you okay now?"

"How long have you been standing here?" I asked, trying to mask the nervousness in my voice. All at once, I paled. What if she witnessed something? What if she saw Ava and I kiss?

"Not long," Isabella replied and shook her head. She grabbed my hand and said, "The team building's over. Coach wants us to gather back there before we go home." I followed her as we walked, her hand still on mine.

I was still stunned by what happened a few minutes ago. I didn't know if I should either feel happy or upset. But for the most part, I was ecstatic. My stomach was doing backflips at the memory of the kiss. It was exactly what I had imagined. Even better, actually. I was coming down from the high; my face still probably flushed. Kissing Ava was something I never regret doing. And the fact that she kissed me back made me grin like a little schoolgirl. My wounded cheek was hurting but I couldn't care less. In my mind, I wanted to do it again. I wanted to kiss her again.

A small part of me was feeling confident to face her. Contrarily, it only backfired when she completely avoided my gaze the whole time Coach Warren was talking to us. I couldn't hear what Coach was saying because I was intently focused on her and her alone. When it was her turn to talk, she glanced at each and everyone except me. I released a breath I didn't know I was holding, feeling my heart sink.

Why was she doing that now? I didn't get her. I was having mixed emotions all at once. Did she just kiss me back because she felt the need to? I mean, if I were in her place, I'd certainly kiss back because I liked the person, and not because I felt obligated to do so.

They finally dismissed us and I immediately walked away. I wanted to get as far away from Ava as soon as possible. Ronnie texted me saying he was already at the parking lot and I hopped in his car without a single word.

"Jesus, Chace, what happened to you?" He questioned, his expression particularly shocked and worried.

I leaned against the headrest and sighed, "Minor scratches. No biggie."

Ronnie drove out of the school property. He glanced at my passive state. He knew something was up. "Chace, we're talking once we get to your place."

I didn't answer. He was going to stay in for the night, so I couldn't really fight him. He'd force my mouth open before I could even say anything. But that was just his way of showing his concern. Ronnie was good at comforting me with his words. At least.

When we got to my apartment, he set the groceries he bought on the kitchen counter before he picked me up from school.

"Okay, you need to change first, Hunny. You stink."

"Jeez, thanks, Ron." I made my way to my room and quickly changed out of my attire, wearing my tank top and sweatpants. I saw Ronnie making an easy bake mac n cheese.

"You can tell me now."

"IkissedAvaandnowshesignoringme."

He raised his palms up, "Okay okay, Chace. Speak. Slowly."

I heaved a breath as I sat by the island while he prepared the mac n cheese. "Ava," I started.

Ronnie nodded, "Ms. Huntington? Okay. Did something happen?"

"I fell down during the game and she accompanied me to the locker room to wash it off and so she could treat it. We had a small conversation and then one thing led to another. I kissed her. She kissed me back." I tried to speed up what I had said, hoping Ronnie will get it over and done with. But he just stared at me as if he was still processing it inside his head.