xiv. blow

c h a p t e r  f o u r t e e n 
___________________

I checked the time on the wall clock above the vanity table and saw that it was seven o'clock. Isabella and I finished our food and went to study straight away. We were now focused on Chemistry after we finished studying English. I had the urge to go to the bathroom so I asked her.

"Isa, I need to use your bathroom."

"Sure."

I quickly took my time and washed my hands on the sink. When I walked out of the bathroom, Isabella had her swivel chair turned towards my directions as she faced me with an expression I couldn't quite decipher. She tilted her head to the side and spoke, "Chace, this is out of topic but I've never actually seen your parents. Do they visit you from time to time?"

I pressed my lips together and stood at the bathroom doorframe for a few seconds. I was internally panicking and I could feel my hands starting to sweat as I try to formulate an answer.

"Y-yeah, but they travel frequently so I rarely get to see them," I replied. Even though the cut on my left cheek hasn't fully healed yet, I did my best to flash her a believable smile. Although I could feel the wound opening against the band-aid as I smiled through the pain.

Isabella's eyebrows quirked up, "Really? What do they do?"

The corners of my mouth attempted a frown, however, I covered it briskly and uttered a reply, "Archeologists."

"Wow," she let out an amazed chuckle, "that's really cool, Chace."

"Can we continue now?" She didn't seem to notice my discomfort because she said 'okay' and smiled at me. I sighed as I sat on the chair next to her. I hadn't expected her to ask me so out of the blue. She asked me once before if my parents were Asian because my physical features were distinctively obvious for an Asian person. Of course, I had to answer it with my mom being Korean. And when she asked me further, I diverted the subject back to her. I wasn't in the best state at that time with the fact that I often become closed-off to people wanting to know more about me.

We continued to study. I was fiddling with my pen, clicking the ballpoint pen a couple of times. Isabella snapped a finger in front of my face and I flicked my gaze at her. She giggled at me and tapped her pen on the sheet of paper on the desk. It was a review sheet for the subject. I leaned over and she pointed on number 7 and began to read aloud.

"Which of the following alkyl halides would undergo SN2 reaction most rapidly?" Isabella asked and then read the choices below, "A. CH3CH2-I, B. CH3CH2-Br, or C. they react at the same rate."

"C?"

"Nope."

"What about B?"

She giggled again, "Chace, you need to stop guessing."

I gave her a small smile and shrugged, "A, it is then."

Isabella rolled her eyes and smiled, "Fine. Yes, since in SN2 reaction, the nucleophile attacks from the back leaving group. The better the leaving group, the easier it is to leave. So, the correct answer is A 'cuz iodide ion is the best leaving group."

I nodded in understanding. Well, it didn't actually processed in my head. It was confusing, to say the least. And not to mention, Chemistry was my second hated subject. I preferred Biology over it.

It was my turn to ask her a question and so I did, reading aloud number eight. After giving out the choices, she gave me her answer. As expected, she got it right.

"Right. For SN1, the leaving group departs before bond-forming happens. Therefore, the intermediate is carbocation, which is the most stable on tertiary carbo." I began to read the explanation of how the answer came to be. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Isabella bending closer towards me. I instantly stopped reading and faced her. Her eyes were closed and her lips were parted as if she was about to kiss me.