iv. borderline

c h a p t e r f o u r
___________________

I woke up at the sound of my alarm and grumbled as I dragged myself to the bathroom. I did my usual morning routine. It was fall so the season was more or less getting cold. I opted for a dark blue checkered flannel over my white band shirt and then paired it with some high-rise denim jeans and the infamous Doc Martens. I gathered my things and headed out of the apartment.

     I stopped by at a local diner to eat breakfast. It was a 24-hour diner so it was pretty much convenient for me to go eat my meals there sometime. Not to mention, their club sandwiches and milkshakes taste like heaven. Yesterday, I told Ronnie that Fred won't be picking me up in the mornings anymore because he just got a job downtown so, like the sweet friend he was, he offered to pick me up in the mornings. Although I promised him it won't be long until I turned 18 so I could access the money my parents left me with and use it to buy myself a car. It wasn't long 'til my birthday which was in two months.

     We arrived at school fifteen minutes early so Ronnie could find a parking spot. There were already a few cars parked, a familiar car included. I looked at the car, seeing no one inside.

     "Your girlfriend sure is early today," Ronnie commented, making me glare at him. We went inside and walked in the hallway.

     "Not funny, Ronnie."

     "Your welcome for the morning ride," he remarked, rolling his eyes.

     We made our way to the lockers: Ronnie opened his while I leaned against mine. I didn't have anything to get or put inside my locker. Looking around, I caught a glimpse of Ava down the hallway.

     Damn, she looked extra good today.

     Despite the gradually cold season, she was wearing a black knit wrap dress that ended just above her knees paired with her matching black pointed heels. Her blonde hair was at chest length and she had a small smile on her face as she was talking to another teacher.

     Ronnie follows my line of sight and snickered, "You sneaky bitch." He closes his locker and made a face at me.

     I looked away from the blonde who was just a few meters from where we were. The bell rang and we sauntered in the hallway with a bunch of other students who are making a beeline to their first class. We both walked in the same direction since I had Calculus and Ronnie had Chemistry and both rooms were just across from each other.

     My eyes wandered to Ava who was greeting the students at the doorway as they went inside. When we were at her arm's length, Ronnie beams at her, "Ms. Huntington, you look lovely today. I love the dress you're wearing!"

     I mentally rolled my eyes at him, hiding my smile.

     Ava chuckled, "Thanks, Ronnie. You're looking dazzling as well. You better head to class. I'll see you in your next period."

     "Okay, Ms. Huntington," he waves at her and then grins at me. I could tell there was something evil hiding beneath his grin. "See you later, Chace."

     My feet were still glued to the floor. It seemed as if my legs were too heavy for me to walk. I could smell the faint perfume on her as she glanced over at my friend who was sauntering away. My eyes traveled her face. Her makeup was light and her lips were coated with baby pink glossy lipstick. I licked my bottom lip at the sight.

     "Chace."

     Her voice pulled me out of my reverie and my gaze immediately darted back to her eyes. Then I noticed we were the only ones standing outside.