xxiii. again

Posting two updates in celebration of my birthday (^3^) Happy reading y'all! 🥳

Z

xx

c h a p t e r  t w e n t y - t h r e e
___________________

"Ava, these equations are so fucking hard."

     I probably looked like a kid whining for a slice of pizza but I didn't give a damn. Ava came home and gave me assignments from my different subjects. After we ate dinner, I immediately cleared up the dining table and did my homework. I've been sitting for about three and a half hours until I was down to the last assignment which was Calculus. I moved over to the living room and made myself comfortable on the sofa.

     Right after seeing the equations, my brain cells decided to rest in peace. I let my head fall back on the sofa, my eyes staring straight on the ceiling.

     Ava walked over from the kitchen with reading glasses perched on her nose, "Do you want me to help you then?"

     "Please, Ms."

     She rolled her eyes and told me to scooch over so I could make room for her as she sat down beside me, her right leg tucked under her thigh. When she saw the grin on my face, she rolled her eyes again.

     "I'll be teaching you how to get the solution for the first equation and then you'll continue the rest, okay?" she said, grabbing a pad of paper while I flipped the pages of my Calculus textbook on my lap.

     I handed her my mechanical pencil and responded, "Can you also solve number 2? Cus those fractions look very hard."

     Ava looked at me pointedly, "I'm already giving you a one-on-one, Chace. I haven't done this with the other students, so consider yourself lucky."

     "Okay, but can you at least guide me through equation 2 so I'll know how to solve it?" I pouted at her to which she only sighed in resignation, "Fine."

     Our closeness just like a normal usual thing to us now. When she saw me bawling my eyes out after a bad dream, she hugged me and uttered comforting words to me. She came across as the kind of person who knew exactly what to say at that moment. And I felt reassured. Last night, Ava stayed up with me for as long as she could even though she had to wake up in the morning. Being at her place, I think that was when we bonded the most.

     She then starts to explain the first equation. Ava was on teacher mode so I did my part and listened to her speak.

     A traitorous strand of blonde hair fell out from her messy bun and down to the side of her cheek and she reflexively tucked it behind her ear. I caught myself staring at her side profile and the way her glasses tipped slightly over the bridge of her nose while she was too engrossed in explaining the solution to me.

     Though she didn't seem to notice that I was blankly staring at her because she was busy writing numbers on the scratch paper. I shook my thoughts away and went back to focus on the assignment. We were on to the second equation and I began solving it after she took the textbook from me. I showed it to Ava soon after and she made some corrections, briefly clarifying the errors. Then, when we came to the final answer, she let me continue the rest while she went to the kitchen to grab me some glass of milk.

     When I finished the remaining numbers in less than an hour, I let out a huge sigh and leaned back on the chair.

     "About time," Ava smirked and took the paper from me. She began scanning over my answers.