xxvi. henley is back

Happy New Year, everyone! Posting an update for the holidays. I hope you all had a wonderful new year's eve! <3

Z

xx

c h a p t e r  t w e n t y - s i x
___________________

When I woke up in the morning, Ava wasn't there beside me. The bed felt really empty without her and as I sat up, I noticed the garments she wore last night neatly folded at the edge of the bed. I figured she went back to her condo to change out of her previous clothes.

Today was Monday. Which meant I'll be getting back to school. And to top it all off, my head was slightly aching from the drinks I had last night.

Now that I was fully recovering, I knew I still had to be careful with my head since I got into a mild brain injury. I made a mental note that the alcohol I drank yesterday night was going to be the last one.

I took an aspirin and downed it with water before heading off to take a shower. After doing my usual speedy morning rituals and throwing in some rugby shirt and jeans with Chucks, I got to the kitchen and planned to eat the opened cereals in my fridge when I saw a plate of bacon and eggs on the kitchen island. I didn't notice Ava sent me a text a couple of minutes ago until I checked it right now.

Ava: Hey, I'm sorry I left early. But I made you breakfast so make sure you eat it. It's the most important meal of the day xxx

I couldn't contain the smile on my face as I read her text, typing in my own reply.

Chace: Yes, Mommy ;)

After eating my breakfast, I rode in my Chevy and began driving to school. Since I've got my dad's car, I wouldn't be hitching Ronnie's ride anymore.

As soon as I reached school, I tried looking for Ava in her classroom but failed as students began shuffling through and through toward their first class. I then proceeded to my first period and hoped Monday was not going to drag out.

The next day, I woke up in a rather slightly sour mood because Ava and I haven't seen each other yesterday since I didn't have her class that day and she didn't bother to send a reply after I texted her Monday morning. I wanted to punch myself for thinking that I'm getting clingy so I opted not to bother her at all yesterday.

Before heading off to my fourth period after lunch, I decided to go look for Coach Warren to ask whether I should go to practice or not. Sooner or later, I found her going in the direction of the soccer field and called her up.

The woman turned around and flashed a smile in her dark blue tracksuit, "Henley, it's good to see you're back and well!"

"I'm sorry I didn't drop by yesterday afternoon. I was busy."

Coach Warren waved a hand, "Oh, no worries. As long as you're feeling better, then that's good to know."

I rubbed my nape and asked her, "So, can I attend practice later?"

"Yes, of course. I won't give you an exception with the warm-up drills although now when we're having practice games, I think you should sit it out and give yourself some time to rest. Okay?"

"Okay, thanks," I smiled. Before Coach could turn around and leave, I called her again and asked, "Coach, about the upcoming games-"

She cut me off by placing a hand on my shoulder, "I'll think about that first. But for now, just focus on your academics, Chace. I'll see you later in practice."

And with a smile, Coach walked away, leaving me to ponder on what was going to happen in the forthcoming games. Since Ronnie has left to go to the library to study and I had spare lunchtime left, I made my way to Ava's classroom to kill time. And hopefully, get a few minutes of alone time with her before the bell rings.