CH-32

"So why are you grinning so much?", Chandan asked Ranjeet. Chandan was confused. Ranjeet was still grinning. "Do sit down, first.", Ranjeet motioned them to sit down, with a grin pasted on his face. They all sat down. Everyone was confused. 

"So, I have got an idea for Raj's case. I think it can bring us nearer to some proof.", he said. "Aren't you a lawyer? Why don't you have any fucking proof!??", Chandan said, in a little anger. "Yes, I am a lawyer. But we definitely don't get any proof easily. We have to make small efforts for getting to the actual proof.", he replied. Chandan shrugged. 

"So what's your idea?", Saavi asked, excitedly. Her eyes were glittering as if she got good marks in any exam. Her hope was alive. "So. Mr Malhotra was a middle class person. Every person has some problems in life. And I think he was not able to cope up with those problems, so he thought of committing suicide. It must be the only way to escape his problems!", he said.

"I-I think that makes sense.", Rima said. Sonia nodded and so did Saavi. Ranjeet got a bigger grin as everyone liked his concept. Saavi joined her hands and did a little prayer to god. She was not a religious person, but she did that anyway.

"And how can we know about a dead man's problems?", Chandan asked. Chandan's mind always looked at the depth of anything and he loved to ask questions and oppose anyone. Saavi's eyes showed anger now. "What do you mean by a DEAD MAN?", she asked, rather yelled. He chose not to reply. "Stop it! You guys are always fighting like kids! We are supposed to find a way out of this problem. We can't waste our time on this.", Sonia shut her up. "I am sorry", Saavi murmured. 

"I have made a list of six problems that a middle class man can face.", Ranjeet said. He handed the page on which he had written that list to Saavi. She read it, Chandan and Rima sitting next to her and Sonia in the back. They read it in their mind. "But I don't know if Dad had any problems like this. We never discussed about my marriage  too. And I don't know if he took any loans.", Saavi said, looking up at Ranjeet. "But I think your Mom might know.", Ranjeet said. "So you will ask Mrs. Malhotra if she knows what problems her husband faced?", Rima asked. Ranjeet nodded. "But what if she isn't in the state of her mind. We can't disturb her. She's already upset.", Rima said. Her psychiatrist mind was as sharp as any other doctor's mind. 

"But we can't leave this case hanging here like this!", Ranjeet exclaimed. "Ranjeet, Rima is right. After all, she is a psychiatrist and she must be knowing what Preeti aunty must be going through.", Sonia explained. That meant that Ranjeet's first idea for this case didn't work. He had faced several failures. But he hated to face another one. His head hung low. He was disappointed. Sonia felt sorry for him. But other than him, Saavi was also disappointed. She was hopeful this time. She wanted her happy family back again. There was a moment of silence. The silence surrounded them. 

"Ranjeet, I am with you.", Saavi's voice rose after that silence. Everyone looked towards her. "I know Mom is distressed. But we have to find proofs. We have to get Raj out of that jail. I want my happy family again.", she spoke. "Ranjeet, feel free to ask us anything. We'll be honest to you.", she promised. She was close to tears. 

"Thank you, Saavi! I'll try my best to help you.", he replied. He was smiling. "I think I'll ask those questions today, right now. I can't delay anything as we have to be fast.", he said. "Okay, but how do we approach Mrs. Malhotra? What if she doesn't reply us?", Rima asked. "Don't worry about that. I will explain Mom properly.", Saavi assured. 

Saavi went into Preeti's room. Preeti was lying on the bed, her eyes wide open.

"Mom?", Saavi spoke softly to bring her attention towards her. "Ah, yes, beta", she stood up.

"Come in.", Preeti motioned her to come in. "Mom umm I wanted to tell you something", she stammered. "Don't hesitate, beta. I am alright.", Preeti assured her. Saavi took a sigh and continued. "Mom, we have hired Ranjeet as Raj's lawyer. And he needs some information. So, he wants to ask you some questions.",. There was a 5 second silence in between. "Fine, beta. I will answer his questions.", Preeti replied. Saavi gave a little smile. 

She got out of the room and gave a thumbs up to Ranjeet. Sonia and Ranjeet went into Preeti's room. Saavi sat outside in the hall. She noticed that Chandan was sitting there too. She saw him and broke down into sobs. Chandan didn't know why she was crying. "What happened? Why are you crying?", he asked, controlling her. She finally paused and explained.

"Everything is so dull, Chandan No one is happy. Dad is gone, Raj is gone. It's so upsetting.", she spoke. "It's fine, Saavi. Everything will be okay. Crying won't make it better. Stop being a crybaby now.", he tried to stop her. "For you, it's nothing. It won't make you cry. Your life is just so perfect. You're rich, you've got everything. Rich people don't feel pain at all.", she spoke in pain as if she was the only one in the world who was sad.

Chandan didn't respond. He had also been sad all these years. He had lost his sister. His expressionless face turned into a frown. "You have no right to call me a crybaby then! You have a perfect life. You don't cry.", she said angrily. She hated when he called her a crybaby. He still chose not to speak. She got up and was rushing to her room.

"I don't have a perfect life. I am not happy with my life. But I do feel sorry for you.", he spoke softly. She stopped and turned back. Her expressions showed that she was asking him to confirm again. He sensed that. "Yes, I don't have a perfect life. Being rich doesn't make you happy."

He looked upset as ever. "Chandan, what happened?", she asked, sitting next to him. He didn't want to blabber everything infront of her and look like a girl. "Tell me, Chandan! What's wrong with you?", she asked. "It's nothing.", he lied. 'C'mon Chandan! Tell me!", she tried to make him spill his truth.