Chapter VIII.

The maids were putting a large hat on my head, & they squealed in delight when they finished.

'My lady is so beautiful!' they complimented me as usual; thank god, they didn't put in as much effort as they did before going to the ball, or else I would be put in a coma forever.

Wearing a normal dress made it easier for me to walk, & no heals, but instead comfortable shoes; still, it felt like I was dressing too fancily even though I was only going out to the training field to see my brother sparring with the knights of my family.

The maid held a basket full of snacks as she walked beside me; 'Oh my, Phoenix. Are you going somewhere, my dear daughter?' my mother asked when I met her unexpectedly in the hallway.

'To the training field,' I answered nonchalantly, but somehow my mother was moved to tears; 'You're finally becoming better my daughter,' she said as she whisked away a tear.

I think I'm exactly the same as before though?

'Be careful, the training field is dangerous,' mother warned me, then moved along.

Dangerous? It's not like there's some kind of beasts there. And besides, there are tons of knights training there. Even if some criminal appears out of nowhere, they certainly would be able to protect me?

And, that's where I was mistaken.

                                            ...

I wasn't even able to find the time to scream as a sword came flying, & then it fell down, piercing the ground right next to me.

My large hat was sliced by the edge- I felt it when it became slightly loose.

'Oh my god!! My lady, are you ok?' Sally's loud voice cried out, which made all the knights turn towards me. Knights, more like-

'Phoeni!!' my brother came running to my side, & checked my face up down to my toes to see if I was alright; 'Phoeni, are you alright?' he fussed over, & all the knights who were previously sparring also came, surrounding me as quickly.

Even though it was already hot outside, with their naked & tall bodies full of sweats...

Thank god, I wasn't able to see their face because of the gigantic hat, & I hoped the hat worked it's miracle in mutual ways.

I gulped audibly; 'I can't breathe because-' I wasn't able to finish my sentence since brother cut me off with a loud roar that was no less than an animal's.

'Who's sword was this?!'

'I mean, I can't breath-'

'If you don't reveal yourself right now, I'll find you myself!' he yelled with veins popping from his forehead visibly.

Ugh! Let me finish for god's sake!

'Brother, I meant to say-'

'How many times do I have to repeat myself?!'

This time, I actually felt irritated even though I didn't like complicated emotions because they tire me easily.

'Take this sword, & spar-' brother was about to finish when I suddenly kicked him in the shin hard, & he let out a soft curse, finally turning his attention to me. Didn't look like it hurt too much though- of course, I was a kid, & a lady who wasn't even that strong. That's to be expected.

'Brother, what I meant was that I can't breathe because you guys are all towering over me!' I practically screamed the last part. Actually, it was just raising my voice a little bit, but because I hardly have any emotions, or up & downs when I'm speaking, my throat hurt a little.

With that said, they all backed two or three steps thankfully. Only then, did I continue; 'I'm alright. The sword didn't hurt me; it just damaged this... thing on my head.'

I wasn't even sure, if this could be called a hat; it felt more like a gigantic weight upon my head, pressuring me with great force.

That said, I took it off raising my hands, & then met a breathless silence in return.

When I looked up, the knights were staring at my face with their mouths slightly open; they looked kinda stupid. (A/n; and, here's our insult of the day!!!)

'Phoeni!' my brother covered my face with his sweaty hands, receiving a frown from me; 'You should be careful here! What if these dirty scumbags saw your adorable face?!' (A/n; now I see that they're really related- like brother, like sister.)

I'm pretty sure they all saw me, & is it really alright to insult them like that, right before them?

'Brother, your hands are getting in my way,' I told him, & he immediately pulled back his hands. I took a step backwards, coming next to Sally who still seemed kind of shocked; ah, right. Now that I think about it, wasn't it here? That thing...

A/N; it's kind of amazing how she's not shocked at all, after almost getting killed.