Chapter XXVII

It was after the nurse applied healing oil on my bruises- as soon as it was applied, the bruises were starting to disappear in an alarmingly fast rate.
   Though it hurt more unlike what it looked like.
   Currently, I was the only one in the nurse's office. Because Ian, who seemed to be injured went out soon after Selene did. It seemed like she was the only reason he came to the infirmary, & the reason to stay any longer also.
   I became sure though- the incident definitely happened before the exam. His injury was probably the reason he lost to brother in the first place: because Ian, he who is the male lead wouldn't lose to just some noble. Though that noble is my brother...
    Perhaps it was when he caught me before I fell, or perhaps...
   I suddenly remembered the winged things that I met on the way here.
   Or perhaps by them.
Though I didn't see him being injured, I seemed to have blacked out during the middle of it.
    Certainly, I remember being chased, & then we hid somewhere in a cave to escape them. A conventional cave that just happened to be behind a waterfall, which Ian conveniently knew it was, & led me there coincidentally...
   Ah, I can't be suspicious of the male lead! He's the male lead!!! Besides, he was there with me. Or... can I?
... I'm becoming a little paranoid. But in the first place, the reason I'm trying hard to remember is that...  because I'm sure something like monsters appearing didn't happen in the original novel, & Phoenix didn't meet the male lead in the novel back then too.
   Not to mention, the male lead, & the heroine weren't this close until... until Raymond, the golden dragon appears.
  I feel like he's a b*tch for some reason...
   Nevermind. The point is, what could've caused these changes in the plot? I didn't do anything serious but perhaps-
    *thud*
'He's really handsome, right?!' one girl whispered loudly as she snickered, & immediately, my focus was lost.
   'I know, he was soooo hot!' the other whispered back in reply, as they walked closer to where I was.
    'Could it be that he's a low noble? Why did he come so late to the academy though?'
   A new student? Who?
   'I know, right~ Gosh, my heart's still thumping in my chest!! Why couldn't he have come earlier? Then I wouldn't  have got engaged to that stupid oaf!!!'
   'So true!'
'He would probably be in the same grade as us though.'
   Both of them sighed at the same time, then giggled stupidly again.
   'We should be quiet, what if someone overhears us?'
   Yeah. You probably should've said that at the start of the conversation. Not at the end.
   'Right. Hey did you know that the grand duchess died?'
    Grand duchess? The grand duchess who's the sister of the Barua kingdom's queen? Or another grand duchess?
   'Oh, yeah. I've heard: they said that she poisoned herself. Poor duke, he loved her a lot didn't he?'
   'What are you talking about?! He hated her! Do you know how many concubines he had? They say that he never spent another night at the estate except on the night after their wedding.'
    'Right! I remember a rumor that said the duke only married her because the emperor kept pressuring him. Was it true?'
   'Yeah, of course. The duke was the famous playboy back in his day! Why would he want to settle down suddenly? In fact, I think he was made as a sacrifice to bring the Barua kingdom together with our empire.'
Oh, they're definitely talking about the sister of the queen. When did she even die? Was she supposed to die this early?
  'Really? Then did you hear about the  commoner who was made into a noble?'
   'Of course! They're late news!'
They went on talking gossip for a long time. By the time they left, I didn't know what to do with all the new information in my brain- my head felt as if it was about to burst.
    But one important thing... the Barua  kingdom.
    The war was about to happen soon. The war that Ian left for, & returned as a hero.
   Did it happen so fast?
No, I don't think so. It was actually 1 year and 5 months later that the war started. Ian was recruited at age fifteen- which is two years later. That is, if the plot wasn't changed.
But how did kingdom Barua cause so much commotion? It's only a one kingdom that won't match even the smallest part of our empire... as it was stated in my history class, which I heard coincidentally believe me.
   Anyway, I'm forgetting something big here. I swear, it's right at my grasp but I just can't seem to reach it... what was it again?
🌺🌺🌺
    Thanks to that ridiculous oil, my bruises healed way too fast! Now I have to be bothered by sitting in class, doing classwork, & listening to the teacher.
    It sounds waaay~ too boring.
'Did you see the new kid?' girls were murmuring as they passed me.
   I swear, all I'm hearing these days is this new kid who missed an entire year, but still managed to get accepted into the academy.
  If he's that great, he should cancel all the classes.
    Frowning, I glanced around the hallroom to... what does it say?
   I looked down at the paper I was holding, in order to check the room number.
   First class, on the 2nd of September- Phoenix Elan 1c class... (It's written on paper)
   Politics-
'Hey~'
  'Ah!' I let out a small (monotonous) gasp of surprise when someone's arm circled around my neck playfully.
  'You're the girl who got beaten down to the ground, right?'
    ...
I kept my vision forward: 'So?'
    If it was to ridicule me, I don't really care. I'm too lazy to feel-
   'Let's become friends!'
At that, I was surprised- gotta admit. In my shock (who in their right mind would want to become friends with me?) I turned towards the pschotic girl who had no sense of personal space.
   'I'm Emily Leonar- the daughter of the duchess who just died.'
   She held out her hand in a crude fashion, waiting for me to take it.
    The grand duchess's daughter?

A/N: sorry, couldn't update on Sunday~ but to make up for it, I wrote today's to be longer. BTW, I'm writing a new story. If you like it, check it out or something.
  It's called 'Pushing the love flags towards the villain.'

Here's the cover

Here's the cover.
   I'm putting this just in case you're bored. If you don't want to read it, then don't.