Chapter XVII.

Like an idiot... like an idiot, I stood there numbly.
   Even before being able to reach the stupid wisterias, & before being able to gaze at the stars like I wanted to, I ran into trouble.
   Yes, there was a freaking dragon in that darned story, & yes, magic was also mentioned- no. Both Raymond, & Ian could use magic, but certainly... not these kind of things.
    Not some monsters with large bat wings, & ugly face!!!!
    'Aaagh!!'
And that certainly wasn't me screaming: it was the driver-
   Before I could react, wind hit my face, & it passed me so fast I didn't even realize it did, until the-
  Blood chilling crunches sounded behind me, & the sobs of the man: 'Please help me, please- aagh!'
The sound that followed thereafter, like something was being ripped apart...
     Suddenly, it grabbed me, & just as I almost screamed, he covered my mouth. Only at this moment, I genuinely thought he was the most beautiful being on earth. He looked the most handsome when he was sweating, covered in blood, dust, & gore.
    I almost broke out a sob- for some reason, all my laziness had washed away by the sudden surprise. Like I was never that way from the start...
     The handsome boy slowly led me forward: honestly, it was hard to leave  even though I could still hear the mangled screams behind me, the sobs- it became quiet.
    That was when I realized, at the same moment when I heard the crunch of a thin branch under me- I might really die.
(Just for your information, this is still the same novel)

     I dunno how to explain whatever happened before, so let's rewind a bit instead:
    Faintly, very faintly, I could hear someone calling my name.
    Because the voice was too familiar, I could immediately tell who it was. However, I didn't respond back, or make any noise at all.
   'Miss!!! Miss!'
'Lady! Lady!'
       It made me wonder how many people were looking for me. Because certainly, it was more than just about five or six people even though I remembered... wait. If I count, there were 4 people with me: my brother, the two knights of our family, & lastly the carriage driver.
  Oh, well. I'll just wait until they find me, I suppose.
    Somehow, it seemedbas if the voices were getting closer but at the same time, further.
    There was this uneasy feeling in my chest, but before I could even think of anything, I was distracted.
    'Lady Elen.'
At the call, I turned back, & immediately recognized him. It was the boy who pulled me out of the carriage before, & the driver with him.
     'You're... Phoenix Elen?' his handsome face distorted horribly as he saw me.
    'Lady Elen- your brother is looking for you,' the driver said as he walked towards me.
     'Ah, I understand.'
Unconsciously, I glanced back at the handsome boy, whose expressionless face seemed colder than ever.
   'Lady Elen. Let's go,' he held out his hand to me. However, his hand that held out warmly to me, was ice cold. So cold that I flinched.
     'You're...'
'Ah. I have forgotten to introduce myself, haven't I?'
    'My name is Ian Vuinter. A pleasure to meet you,' he bowed down curtly, kissing my hand as he held it.
    ... Ian... Vuinter? The... the male lead?!