Chapter 29

"The court calls Niall James Horan to the stand" The officer announces.

Its the day of the trial and to say Zayn and Niall are nervous would be an understatement. Trisha, Yaser, Zayn, Liam, Louis, and Harry all sit in a row, dressed to their best while Ryland and his attourney, Mrs. Lane sit some rows in front of them. Maura is on the other side of the courtroom shooting daggers at Niall.

Somehow the trial had gotten around town and everyone wanted to know what was going on. Even the news channel was outside the courthouse waiting for the verdict. Nobody knows this but maybe Louis went around telling Niall's story to get support. #LetNiallFree and #NiallDeservesBetter were the top trends on Twitter for three days straight. People made banners, Facebook pages, and radio station announcements in support of Niall. And that may explain the two hundred people huddled in the courtroom and one thousand people tuned into the news station from their TVs and phones.

The bailiff approaches Niall and Niall places his hand on the bible. "Do you promise to tell the truth, whole truth and nothing but the truth so help you God?"

Niall nods, "I do."

As Niall takes his seat again, Mrs. Lane stalks over to him, her heels clicking agains the tile. The courtroom was so quiet even though there were so many people in it.

"Niall, Ryland was sent to the hospital on the night of October 13th immediately entering a coma for weeks. Do you know why this happened?" She questions.

"Yes, I assaulted Ryland at a party on the night of October 13th" Niall answers truthfully.

"Mhm, and why did you assault Ryland?"

"He was making fun of me and talking about me. I was a little drunk and the next thing I know I was pinning him to the floor and hitting him" Niall gulps nervously.

"For beating someone that ended up in a coma, you must be very strong."

Niall shrugs, "I guess" he mumbles.

"Have you gotten in many fights before, Niall?"

"Yes, I have. I'm known to have some anger issues."

"So basically you're a hothead?"

Niall releases a deep sigh, "Yes, I am."

"What was some of the stuff Ryland said about you that made you mad?"

"He kept calling me faggot and stuff. I don't know how he found out that I had a boyfriend but he did."

"So you're gay, Niall?"

"Bi but why does that matter? Cause the last time I remember love is love."

Some people look away in disgust while others aww.

"No reason" she shrugs. "So basically, Niall you assaulted Ryland because he was making fun of your sexuality?"

"Yes."

"Why did you let that get to you?"

"Mrs. Lane, are you straight?" Niall asked suddenly.

Mrs. Lane's eyes grow wide, she's taken aback by the question but answers nonetheless. "Yes I am, I see no relevance to this. Last time I checked I was the one asking the questions."

"Well, Mrs. Lane you don't understand what its like to be attracted to the same sex. You don't understand what it feels like to be put down because of who you love. You're straight so you're considered 'normal', no one judges you because of who you're with or who you're attracted to. Its hard for me and my boyfriend, Zayn, and for any other gay, bi, lesbian, pansexual person out there. So many people take their lives because of constantly being bullied because of their sexuality. In a way, I feel I stood up for myself, maybe not in the best way. To be bullied for something you can't help, you feel helpless and worthless. I've been made fun of many times because of my attraction to Zayn and I'm sick and tired of it. This is 2014. People who love people that are the same sex, or different age, or different skin color should be accepted."