Chapter 7

CHAPTER VII

Early in the morning, Caroline got the bucket they found in the house to get some water in the well. She and Elena were having the hardest time cooking there. First, they took an eternity to light some fire. Second, the instruments they had to work with were archaic. And third, they didn't have as many as they needed, only the ones the previous owner kindly left them. So, basically, everything they were cooking were omelets and soup... There was a little kitchen garden and a few chickens on the backyard, and they got the vegetables and the eggs from there.

Stefan was having a hard time to adjust himself also. Hunting without vampire skills was difficult, and the fact Elena and Caroline refused to eat the rabbit he brought, claiming he was a monster for killing such a fluffy animal, did not help...

When Caroline was about to start cooking the omelets, - while Elena made a fruit salad with the berries and the other fruits they had picked the day before - she heard a few knocks at the door. The girl opened and found Klaus outside, grinning.

- Morning, sweetheart. Ready to see some sites? I was hoping we could go before we start off the day. After all, we have our chores to do, like everyone.

Damn! Those people woke up with the freakin' chickens! They hadn't even had breakfast yet, and he was already there?

- We woke up a little late today and still were about to have breakfast! I'm sorry! If you don't have the time today, we can do it tomorrow... - she excused herself.

- I can wait, love! For you, I'd wait forever.

"You don't even know how long 'forever' is... But you will soon enough...", the blonde thought to herself, smiling like she knew a secret.

- Would you like to join us for breakfast?

- No, sweetheart, I'm fine, but thank you.

The blonde beauty then saw a redness, almost purple-ish, on his cheek. Mikael, she just knew it.

- What happened to your face?

He looked down before explaining:

- I... hit my face... the side of my face on... a tree trunk.

He probably had an argument with his father, and ended up being brutally slapped, or even punched in the face. She just hoped she wasn't the reason of the fight...

- Don't you really want to have breakfast with us? I was hoping you would taste my omelet. - the girl knew he probably didn't have anything to eat that morning, with the argument and all.

- Omelet? - the hybrid-to-be had no idea what that was.

- Oh, you've never had one? Then you must come in and taste it!

The blonde pulled him by the hand, surprising him with that gesture.

- Look who's here for breakfast! - the girl announced, then told Klaus to have a sit.

Elena didn't like that man one bit, he'd destroy her life in the future. Sitting there, though, bruise on the cheek, shy smile, and no sign of darkness and evil on his face, she couldn't bring herself to judge him, much less to mistreat him in anyway.

The brunette put a bowl of fruit salad in front of him, who politely thanked her. Then, Caroline placed an omelet on a dish and handed it to him, anxiously waiting for the verdict.

He started to eat and got surprised by how good that tasted, in spite of the odd way it looked. He praised her cooking skills enthusiastically, making her blush. Stefan and Elena just exchanged glances, realizing how hard the Almighty Klaus was falling for their bubbly friend.