Chapter 15

CHAPTER XV

Elena told Stefan everything as soon as he stepped in the hut. The boy got as surprised as the girls, for he had no idea they could procreate, they were human again, yes, but just while they were there, their true nature was still vampire.

Besides, Ayanna had told them no future changing consequences would take place, and that, definitely, would change it all. Of course, after the brunette explained the whole thing, he saw the logic behind it.

An idea started to cook in the youngest Salvatore's mind. That could be his only chance of becoming a father other than adopting. He had nothing against adopting children, he was all for it, but he couldn't help the pleasant thought of creating a new being with his eyes and Bekah's smile. The fruit of their love.

When the announcement of Caroline's pregnancy happened, everyone (except Mikael, obviously) was thrilled. Rebekah started to day dream about her little nephew or niece, claiming she'd spoil the child rotten, for she adored children. Stefan felt an even stronger urge to have a baby with her.

With the wedding approaching, the boy was getting a little obsessed by it. Besides, how would he be able to help impregnating his wife? Would he refuse her? He could ask her to do the math, and they could do it only during her safe days, but what excuse would he tell her to make such odd request? And doing it only on the safe days was no guarantee she wouldn't get knocked up, many children were born that way, it was basically the least effective contraceptive method ever.

Decided to plead his case with Ayanna, he talked to the girls, getting their support. If the witch could take one more person, even if they had to stay a little longer, maybe Stefan could have his little bundle of joy.

The three of them walked to the witch's hut, trying to come up with convincing reasons to tell her.

They hadn't even knocked yet when they saw Ayanna opening the door, looking even more displeased than the last time Caroline had seen her.

- Don't even start, children!

How did she know everything even before they had the chance to open their mouth? Those spirits of hers kept her more updated than People Magazine...

- But Ayanna, what am I gonna tell my wife? And pulling it out or only doing it on safe days are very poorly effective contraceptive methods! - the boy started his rehearsed speech.

- I could prepare a potion to prevent pregnancy, if that's the only problem. - the witch responded, killing his best arguments.

- But Rebekah would be the one to take the potion, right? - Elena inquired, trying to help Stefan.

The witch nodded, annoyed.

- How is he convincing her to do it? What reason will he give her for not wanting children? If they had one though, he could say they should wait a while before having another not to overload Rebekah with two small children to take care of at the same time. - the brunette finished her line of thought.

- And he can't have children in our time! As I said last time I came here, our kind can't procreate! - the blonde declared, giving her contribution to the boy's case.

Ayanna looked at Stefan's pleading eyes, and took pity on him. What kind of species would be created in the future that wouldn't be able to procreate? And how did they manage to multiply, anyway? That was none of her business, though. She didn't want more information than absolutely necessary. What she knew for sure was that the boy was now human, a species which could reproduce, so none of nature's rules would be broken if he had a child there. But would she be strong enough to send five people?