Chapter 23

CHAPTER XXIII

The doppelganger climbed up the stairs, finding Elijah's body laying on the bed of one of the guest rooms. Damon must have placed him there believing it would be better if she didn't see him in a coffin.

"Damon's a jerk for stealing the sealed coffin, but this was actually sweet of him", she thought, for she really didn't want the mental picture of her husband laying dead in a casket.

The girl had a blood bag in hand, she knew he'd be thirsty when he woke up, and proceeded to softly pull the dagger off his chest. Then, she waited, knowing it would take a while, for she'd done that before.

Sometime later, the man awakened gasping for an air he no longer needed to live. This time, she didn't even budge, she knew exactly what to expect.

He sat down in a sudden move, frowning.

- Elena? – he sounded as surprised as one could be.

Last time he saw her she was being sacrificed by his brother to break the curse their mother had place on him.

The girl didn't know if it was because of the pregnancy hormones, or simply because she missed him so, but she launched her arms around him, holding him.

The man got even more confused, finding her reaction odd. He embraced her back more as an automatic response than anything. Had the potion really worked? He had hoped it would when he handed it to her, but had serious doubts about it. Or perhaps the brunette was now a vampire... No, the scent of her blood was too appealing, and thirsty as he was, he would never not know... She was still human.

Elena had chosen a loose flower dress to wear, and Elijah barely had the time to take a look at her before she hugged him. So, he didn't noticed her figure, and she wasn't holding him tight enough for her bump to press on him.

Realizing what she was doing, she let go of him, embarrassed.

- I think I'm a little hormonal... – she claimed placing her hands on her big bump.

Elijah got wide eyed at the sight. Okay, she was still human, but when did she got... pregnant?

- For how long have I been daggered? How did you get hold of me, if it was Niklaus who daggered me? And most importantly, how did you survive the ritual? Did the potion actually work? – the man showered her with questions.

Elena handed him the blood bag and began to explain.

- It's been four months. You were daggered through summer and a month more. I didn't get you, Stefan did. And the potion didn't work. John, my biological father, with the aid of Bonnie, my witch friend, gave up his own life to my benefit.

The girl felt sad with the memory. She had lost her aunt Jenna and her uncle/father John that day. Elijah noticed the shadow on her face and felt bad. He would always put his family first, but he made them cooperate with his brother and go through with the ritual with no interference relying he'd kill Klaus when he was at his most vulnerable moment, right after unleashing his wolf side. And he betrayed them, he broke his word.

- I am truly sorry for breaking my word to you and your friends, Elena. But Niklaus is my brother. Yes, I was mad at him, believing he had scattered our siblings at sea, and I made the decision to kill him out of anger and sorrow. But when he said he hadn't done that, that he was just provoking me, I saw a glimpse of the brother I once knew and came to my senses. Niklaus may be difficult, but he wouldn't do that. If there's one thing he value in this world, it's family. He has a... different way of treating us, but even the bad actions are done out of love. An odd possessive sort of love, yes, but love nonetheless.