Chapter 13

CHAPTER XII

The couple rested for a while. Seeing the sun setting, they knew it was time to go back. Just to make Caroline even more certain she had just lost her virginity again, she took a glance at Klaus' manhood, noting there was some blood on it. Then she had a look at the inner part of her thighs and spotted a bit of blood, which had run through them.

The man saw the blood too, and gave the same smugly smile, satisfied for being her first, and probably only one, since they were getting married in a couple of weeks, when their hut was done.

- Back in your village, it was a common thing for lovers to call each other "baby"? – he inquired curiously.

He noticed she used to call him that sometimes when they were alone, in a very sweet way. He didn't mind it, though, he knew it was tender gesture. A bit odd, true, but it was only between the two of them, so...

Caroline chuckled a little. That was the term of endearment she knew for boys. When she was with Nik she felt so good sometimes she forgot how different those times were and she was always saying strange things (for him, of course) in front of him.

- Yes, it was. But you don't like it, right? You don't think "real men" should be called that. – she joked, but there was a bit of sadness in her voice.

The blonde didn't want him to ever think she pitied him, or that she didn't think he wasn't a real man, or mainly enough for her.

- I find it odd, sweetheart, but I don't mind it. Well, I don't think it's something you should call me in front of others, but in private it's fine, almost endearing.

- I'd never call you that in public! Come on! I know you better than that! – she exclaimed, fully aware both past and present Klaus had a reputation to uphold – But if you think it's demeaning of you, I could always try to stop, Nik. Though it was out almost automatic when we were making love.

- Love, - he called, taking her face in his hands – you saw me at my worst. You took me to your home and took care of me. I have to admit I hated you saw me like that, but after what you told me the other day, about what strength was in your eyes, about what a real man was to you, I couldn't help but to admire you more. It doesn't matter what you call me, you make me feel like a real man, Caroline.

- I wanted you to see, Nik, that what Mikael does is not showing strength, it simply pure cowardice. To abuse someone just because you hold power over them is sheer abuse. To stand up after a fall, that's strength to me. I truly admire you for putting up with Mikael all these years. You're strong to me, Nik, for most in your condition would have probably gone mad by now after all you've been through.

- I didn't have much choice, did I? – she was ready to reply but he continued – I know what you mean, sweetheart. And I see what you see now you opened my eyes, love. You showed it to me. – he then kissed her tenderly – But only you get to call me that. – the man advised lovingly in a playful tone.

- Of course! You'll be my baby and no one else's!

He shook his head lightly. Her old village must be strange and a half. In other times, he'd feel threatened being called like that, but she was so sweet, and made him feel se special, he couldn't bring himself to care.

Everyone just looked the other way every time Mikael was beating him. His father, much like everyone else, thought he was entitled to treat him like that. But Caroline didn't, and she opened his eyes to that. He was Mikael's son, not his possession. He wouldn't face his father and provoke a feud, of course, but he wouldn't bow down and take the abuse. Caroline thought he was a strong man, never in her eyes he seemed weak, and that could only make him stronger.