Chapter 29

CHAPTER XXIX

Caroline didn't realize what Klaus was up to. She simply smiled at him, letting go of his hand to help Elena put the table.

The hybrid looked around, decided to stop that nonsense once and for all. There was something off there, and not even the beautiful Caroline would keep him from finding out. Yes, she had told him she'd tell him soon. But "soon" is too vague for an impatient man like himself, especially an impulsive one.

- Stefan, mate. Could you come here for a second? – he called, and the boy innocently indulged him.

Once he was standing in front of the vampire, Klaus grabbed Stefan's face and compelled him.

- Answer me, Stefan, and don't you dare lying. Why is Caroline being so lovely to me?

The blonde looked at him, compelling Stefan, and felt her blood boil. What the hell?!

- Klaus, are you compelling Stefan? Why? You promised you wouldn't... - she was saying, but he cut her.

- I promised I wouldn't compel you, but I said nothing about him. – the man declared calmly.

He then compelled Stefan to sit down and wait in silence. He knew more protests were coming...

- Nik, you don't need to do that. – Rebekah tried, not wanting her brother to behave like that with the guy she intended to have a relationship with.

- Oh, I do, baby sister. Don't you want to know the dirt your boyfriend and his friends are hiding from us?

Elijah stepped in to try to end that nonsense. His brother couldn't go all psycho like that whenever he felt threatened, especially to people who had done nothing lately but to help them all.

- Niklaus, stop that! You are ruining your chances with Caroline with this behavior, can't you see that? This is so typical of you! Always paranoid with your trust issues... You ruin every good thing that happens in your life!

The hybrid glared at his brother. If they wanted to be stupid, fine! He knew there was more to that!

- Klaus, please! Don't compel Stefan again! Last time that happened, you destroyed him! You made him kill people, you got him to turn off his humanity! – Elena pleaded, already crying.

Elijah felt so mad seeing her distressed like that. And because of one of his brother's tantrums! Overreacting like always!

- Niklaus, I am warning you... - he began, but the hybrid knew he was right, he had always been one step ahead his entire life.

- I will not make him kill. Nor will I get him to turn off the switch. All I want is three questions. If his answers do not seem out of the ordinary, I will stop, and I will even apologize to him after.

Elena and Caroline felt so nervous they thought they'd have a heart attack.

Klaus' request wasn't anything that absurd, so the other Originals nodded in agreement.

The Original Hybrid sat down besides Stefan and inquired one more time:

- Why is Caroline being so lovely to me?

- Because she loves you. – he responded emotionlessly.

The man got wide eyed. How was that possible? He decided to swallow the shock and go on.

- What about Lukas and Sarah? Why you had the sudden desire to become parents and adopted them?

- They aren't adopted, they are our biological children.