Chapter 26

CHAPTER XXVI

Early in the morning, there was a knock at the Boarding House's front door. Stefan opened it and spotted a fancy invitation. He took it and saw it was for "Elena Gilbert".

- Elena! – he called, finding her in the kitchen, having breakfast – For you!

She frowned, taking the envelope. "Please join the Mikaelson Family this evening at seven o'clock for dancing, cocktails and celebration", she read, frowning.

- That's Esther's idea of making her family whole? Throwing a ball? – Stefan wondered, hearing his daughter wake up in her crib – I'll be right back, Elena.

Caroline was on her way down with little Lukas and had heard their conversation.

- Our mother-in-law is throwing a party? I wonder why she sent you an invite after trying to kill you. Or did you forget about that? – the blonde asked bitterly.

- Of course I didn't, Care. She is everything you said she was last night, but you could've been a little less harsh on her. – the doppelganger reprimanded.

- Does that mean I'm not getting invited? Oh, pity... – the other one stated in irony.

- Wait, there's something in the back.

- What it is, Elena? – Stefan asked, climbing down the stairs with Sarah.

- "Elena, I think we have some matters to discuss. Esther". What does she want to talk to me about?

- I don't know, Elena, but I don't think you should go. – Damon said, appearing in the living room.

- I hate to admit it, but maybe Damon is right. – Caroline agreed not very gladly – I don't trust our in-law.

- Maybe I should give Elijah a call and ask him to come over. We could talk about it. He might know what his mother wants with me. If he doesn't, we could discuss about it and decide if I should attend to this ball or not.

Damon didn't like the idea one bit, but couldn't say a word. After all, he was her husband... He just couldn't understand what had possessed her to marry the uptight Original who had nothing but suits in his closet...

- He's your husband, Elena. And we're talking about his mother, you should definitely talk to him. Call him, I'll invite him in. – promised the youngest Salvatore taking his baby to the kitchen to feed her.

Caroline nodded, and the doppelganger dialed the Original's number.

🌿🌿🌿🌿

Not even fifteen minutes had passed since she had called, Elijah was already at the Boarding House front door.

- Come in, Elijah. – Stefan invited as he had told Elena he'd do.

- Thank you for the invite, Stefan. – he thanked politely and entered – Good morning to you all.

- Oh, Elijah, I'm glad you came. – the doppelganger declared, handing him the invite – See the back. Your mother wants to "discuss some matters" with me. Any idea what she's talking about?

The Original frowned. He thought it was very strange of his mother to rise from the dead just to forgive Niklaus and to "make the family whole", as she had put it herself.

She had been dead for a thousand years, and she's the witch responsible for the existence of the vampire race. As abominations of nature, vampires have been enemies to witches since day #1. He couldn't imagine what she had suffered while dead. And he couldn't think of one good reason the witches on the Other Side would help Esther to come back to the land of the living just to forgive her evil son and make her vampire family "whole again".