Chapter 13

Only one hour was left on our car ride and I realized something and jolted up. Jaxton woke up with me, his arms tightening around me and a snarl left his throat as he looked around frantically for a threat. I shushed him and looked into his eyes that were still looking for any danger to our safety.

“Jaxton?” I asked carefully, “What’s your full name?”

“It’s Jaxton Myles Thatcher.” He pulled me back into him with a sigh. “What’s yours little one?”

“Mine is Adalyn Faye Mason.” I rested my head on his chest ignoring the itchy feeling of the wound healing.

“Faye? Really?” Jaxton chuckled. “Did your parents not get the message of you being a werewolf?”

“Hey! My mom is uh… okay well she is odd, but I like my middle name...It is unique.”

“Tell me more about yourself.”

“Like what teddy bear?”

“What’s your favorite color? What is your favorite movie? Favorite food, favorite season, and what is your favorite TV show?”

“Wow… Thats a lot okay… Dark blue, Get Smart, sushi, fall, and either The Office or M*A*S*H. What about you buppy?”

“Lime green, The Forbidden Kingdom, steak, fall, and The Last Air Bender.”

“Steak really? Wow I didn’t know you were such a cliched wolf. What is your pack like?”

“It’s pretty normal. I told you about the succession stuff for our high ranking wolves. We rarely ever fight other packs, we only do that when they decide we’ve gotten too full of ourselves. My pack has taken down a rogue or two, but they mostly stay away. We have a more peaceful take on things, using our money to buy land we need from the humans or other packs who need some extra cash.

Our warriors are some of the best around and thankfully aren’t needed often. Other than that stuff is normal with some wolves leaving for college. A percentage of all the money pack members earn gets put into a fund to help any members that need it and to buy more land or repair/build homes and other things.”

“So you have an income tax?”

“Uh yeah huh… I never thought of it like that before, but yeah it works well for us,” Jaxton said with a small smile.

“So who am I going to need to know when I get there? Who is the most important to you?”

“Uh… August is our Alpha, he is only 21, he had to take over early when our former alpha passed away. We don’t have a Luna yet, August refuses to participate in the Ring until he has no other options. The gamma of our pack is gonna be the most serious wolf you'll ever meet. He is nice once you get to know him, but it might take awhile for him to warm up to you. His name is Silas and once he likes you, he will be the most loyal friend ever.

My parents died when I was 15 and Duncan was the closest thing I had to family. They died in a car crash during a really bad snow storm… They were coming back from their anniversary.”

“I’m so sorry, Jaxton. I know that doesn’t actually help any, but well I just wish you never had to go through something like that.” Jaxton held me closer to him and sighed his tense body slowly relaxing as he let out a breath.

I rested my head against Jaxton’s shoulder and tried to let myself relax. Meeting Jaxton’s pack members is going to be terrifying, and I would rather do It when my hair wasn’t so greasy.

“Jaxton?” I asked quietly.

“Yes, princess?” Jaxton started rubbing my back.

“Do you think I could meet your pack tomorrow?”