Chapter 26

I pulled on my converse and rushed out the door, shutting it behind me before taking off after my male. The wind whipped through my long blonde hair and I was grateful for the speed that came with being a supernatural creature. 

I made it to the pack house door, still flung wide open from when my wolf went inside, I straightened out my dress and walked inside pulling the door shut quietly behind me. I walked up the stairs to August’s office, ignoring the stares I got from the wolves standing in the kitchen.

I opened the door to August’s office, the only door that Jaxton had remembered to close apparently. The loud almost excited voice of Jaxton stopped as soon as I walked into the room. 

“Hi, princess, sorry I just figured out how we can know how Matthias got in. It had to be someone in the pack, someone must have smuggled him in. We don’t check in the vehicles, because we can smell the different things in the car. We need to check the records of everyone who went in and out that day. Let’s interrogate them!” Jaxton was way too into this.

“Jaxton slow down.” August ordered, though I could see he was anxious to find out who wanted Matthias to kill me. God, even in death this male was annoying. “Let’s get Silas in here before we start anything. I’ll pull up the records and you go get him alright?”

Jaxton gave a quick nod before walking quickly out of the room. I moved across the room, nodding to August before making myself comfortable on the leather couch. I’m getting the feeling that I should just sit and watch, if it weren’t for the fact I wanted to know who wanted me dead I would go start exploring the territory. It would be nice to shift and stretch my legs.

Jaxton came back a few minutes later, a slightly annoyed Silas in tow. August had turned his computer screen towards us, I glanced at the screen. Only three names had been highlighted, and I was too far to really see them. I could see the males reactions though.

Jaxton had gone from bubbly to serious, a frown etched into his handsome features. Silas stared at the screen one eyebrow raised, I could almost see the gears turning in his head. August on the other hand kept his face blank, the empty expression almost unnerving.

Jaxton sat down on the couch next to me, pulling me into his side and leaning back. I liked it a lot better when he was happy and excited. I snuggled into his side, waiting for the males to start discussing what to do.

“What should we do? Check for alibis? I mean I don’t even understand how any of them could know him.” Silas said sitting down on the couch, looking over at August for orders.

    “That sounds good. Silas can you grab Kaden first? Just bring him here, he is pack and if he did do it, maybe he didn’t actually know what he was doing.” Silas nodded and walked out of the room. We waited in silence for him to return.

    The door opened again a while later a short chubby, balding male walking in, a nervous look on his face. He didn’t do it. There was something in me that knew it wasn’t him. Yet I stayed quiet, letting the males ask him a few questions before telling him he could go. Kaden waved goodbye to everyone and waddled out the door. 

    “What do you guys think?” August asked.

    “He didn’t do it.” I said quickly, not giving the others a chance to respond.

    “What makes you say that Ada?” August asked, a small smile on his face. 

    “I just know.” I shook my head slightly looking down at my shoes.

    “Alright, well I agree with you, Kaden has always been kind, and he works with the pups. He has been doing that for 20 years, he doesn’t have a mean bone in his body. Silas wanna go grab Lola? She should be in the library.” Lola? She couldn’t have done it, could she?

    “Lola?” Jaxton scoffed. “She has been our friend for over 7 years. Do you really think she could have wanted the female I want as my mate dead? She wouldn’t do that to me.” I shifted uncomfortably at the problems I was causing between the group of friends.

    “We just have to look at all the possibilities. Jealousy can do a lot of things to a person.” Jaxton stiffened beside me, and I turned slowly to look at him. Guilt covering his face.

    “Why would she be jealous?” I asked August quietly. My heart raced in fear.

    “Well she and Jaxton went out last year and she never really got over it. Besides she has always been kinda possessive of all of us,” Silas let out an annoyed huff. Jaxton had heavily insinuated that she was gay, what the fuck is going on. I snarled lowly, rage pouring out of me. Why did he lie to me?

    “Why did you lie?” I growled my eyes turning light blue as my wolf came to the surface. I heard Silas leaving, but my eyes stayed on Jaxton who had shifted away from me, guilt flashing in his eyes.

    “I just wanted you two to get along and I thought if you knew you wouldn’t want to be friends with her…” My anger subsided slightly, I could understand that, but I was going to have to talk about that with him later. I don’t want him lying because he thinks I can’t handle the truth.

    “I just wanted to know if she still had any feelings for you, because I know you’ve had a lot of females in your life. You should have just told me.” Jaxton lowered his head in shame and I looked away. I might understand, but that doesn’t make me any less pissed off. 

    I looked at the door when it opened, Silas holding the door open for a cheerful Lola. I studied her more closely watching the way her eyes skimmed me before looking away. Dismissing me as unimportant, just like she had the night before. Jaxton was right, now that I knew she had been with my male, and still wanted him.

    I bit down a snarl when her eyes looked slowly over Jaxton. Suddenly I felt a wave of calm drift over me, an icy feeling freezing my limbs. It was the same kind of cold I felt when I was talking to Matthias. 

    I knew without a doubt she did it. She wanted me to be killed by him, so the threat to her relationship with these males would be ruined. I stood walking towards the female, my eyes the only warm part of me as they burned the blue of my wolf. My voice turned into something cold, something ancient, something not belonging to me.

    “Why?” I asked in the strange voice that I didn’t recognize. 

    “Why what?” Lola squeaked out in fear, trying to open the door, but Silas’s large body blocked her only escape.

    “Why, did you bring him here? How did you find him?” Lola froze, her gaze turning blank when she finally looked into my eyes.

    “You’re taking Jaxton from me. I need him, he’s mine and I won’t have an Omega whore stealing him from me. Matthias recognized me from a ball we had a few years ago, he asked for my help to claim his wayward mate. It would be wrong to refuse when we would’ve both gotten what we want.” Lola paused, gritting her teeth together, “He should’ve killed you.”

    I laughed bitterly thinking of all the times I had wanted him to kill me. The times when I had begged him to just end it. The one time he almost did, but stopped because he didn’t want to give me what I wanted.

    “He tried,” I grinned, “Too bad for you that I ripped out his throat before he could.” I blinked and the chill I had felt was gone, the males stared at Lola in disbelief. Jaxton growling in rage, everyone was protective of an omega, I just wonder if it would be greater than the need to protect their friend. 

    “He was supposed to be mine!” Lola snarled at me, rage burning in her eyes. “You can’t take him from me!” She rushed towards me, claws outstretched.

    Silas gripped her around the throat before she could reach me and I watched in shock as Jaxton reached forward and tore her throat open. Blood coated Jaxton’s hand and Silas grinned in satisfaction. August fell back into his chair and gave a grateful look to Jaxton.

    “Okay, someone better start explaining.” I said, capturing the attention of the males around me.

Anyone else surprised? I am. I had no idea what I was doing and then this happened... Oops.