Chapter 24

I shifted uncomfortably on the normally comfortable couch in August’s office. Jaxton held me close and kept rubbing my side comfortingly, his scent helping to calm my nerves. Silas stood by the door, leaning against it, his arms crossed and his normally neat blond hair tousled as if he had been running his hands through it.

August on the other hand was sitting at his desk talking on the phone to the Elders. You’d think they wouldn’t pick up the phone after 8 o’clock at night. His voice halted and I could feel his surprise at something the other wolf had said.

August hung up the phone with a click and started to stare at me in the same intense way Silas was. I feel like I’m in the metaphorical dog house with these two.

“In two days a council of Omegas is going to come and meet with you, Adalyn.” August said.

“There is a council of Omegas?” Jaxton and I asked in unison.

“Yes… six Omegas. Four males and two females will arrive at noon in two days. Apparently there is a lot more to being an Omega than any of us originally thought.” August sighed, his youthful face aging, I honestly felt guilty for him.

“Can I go to bed?” I asked, I was exhausted from everything that happened today.

“Not yet, Ada.” August said apologetically, “I’m afraid there is still the issue of Matthias.” Silas and I cringed, oh shit that’s right… How long had he been standing there?

“Silas?” I called, pressing my body closer to Jaxton.

“Yes, Ada?” He looked over at me, his dark brown eyes boring into mine.

“How long were you standing there?”

“I was there to see your eyes change.” I nodded at him and swallowed down my other questions.

“You told them everything?”

Silas nodded. Oh jeez no wonder August looked so freaked out, omegas are supposed to be submissive and gentle. So what the hell is wrong with me?

“It seems,” August said, still staring at me, “There is more to being an Omega than any of us originally thought. That’s why the Omegas are coming to help… fill you in on all of the missing information. Only you will be allowed in the meeting. They will explain what happened to you when you were… protecting yourself against Matthias.”

“We are gonna go home now, August,” Jaxton said, pulling me to my feet, “I’m tired and we can talk more about this in the morning if you’d like, but right now I just want to eat dinner and fall asleep with this beautiful female in my arms.”

“Alright, Silas you should stay here. We need to figure out how he got through without our guards doing anything.”

I saw Silas nod before Jaxton pulled me out of the room. We walked out of the quiet house silently, the only other wolf I saw was a young female sitting on a stool at the counter. She waved to us before turning back to her phone.

Jaxton led me down the road, wrapping himself around me after seeing the goosebumps raised on my skin. We walked in silence, my legs were freezing, most of my legs were exposed to the chill air. Jaxton’s boxers were comfortable, but not good at fighting off the Autumn air.

Thankfully the long sleeve henley I grabbed was keeping out the cold pretty well. It was funny when the three males came into the house, Jaxton had thought I wasn’t wearing pants and started growling at the other males. We all had a good laugh at him when he finally realised I was wearing his boxers.

Jaxton pulled open the door to the stone house and for the first time warmth greeted me when I walked inside. I had left the fireplace on and the house was nice and toasty. I kicked off my shoes and walked into the living room, falling face first onto the couch.