Good Aim

I'm running, violently so, looking back every so often. My fear spikes as I hear movement to my right. My bare feet are branded from the forest floor, aching and bloodied, but still I push on.

I see a white light at the end of the forest, beckoning me forward. I push myself farther, if that was even possible. I'm close to the light, reaching my hand out to touch it before I'm knocked to the ground.

I let out a shriek as my assailant slams a boot into the side of my head, pushing it into the foliage beneath me. I'm unable to see their face from this position, but all I feel is darkness overwhelming my senses.

I hear a whirring sound and soon the boot is lifted off my face. I lift my hand up to my cheek to rid myself of the sting left by the boot.

I see a flash of red before everything goes black.

———————————————————————————

"CHAR—CHARLOTTE."

I sit up in the bed, gasping for air. My hair is plastered to my forehead from sweat and I'm clutching onto Kylo for dear life before I start sobbing.

"I—I don't—I didn't mean to—," I stutter, unable to complete any verbal commitments.

"Shhh, it's okay, I'm here," Kylo hushes me and rubs my back in small, circular motions.

We stay like that for a while before he makes a move to depart from me. I let out a whimper and he ceases all movement.

"I'm just going to make you some tea, okay?" He soothes.

I nod my head, sniffle, and rub away the tears from my weary eyes.

Kylo returns with a steaming cup of tea and hands it to me. My hands shaking, I bring it up to my lips, hissing as the liquid burns my sore throat.

I look down at the tea and notice the pretty purple swirling around. Primula tea.

"You remembered," I rasp.

He gives me a small smile, "your favorite."

I nod back and give a genuine smile, feeling an overwhelming sense of warmth and calm from this newfound knowledge. I finish my tea and set it on the side table.

"What time is it?" I ask.

"Just after 4:00," he mutters as I furrow my eyebrows.

"I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to wa—" I sputter before he cuts me off.

"Don't apologize," he snarls. We sit in another moment of silence only this one is tense and uncomfortable.

"Kylo?"

Head in his hands he gives me a small, questioning 'hmmm'.

"Are you mad at me?" I whisper.

He sighs, removing his hands from his face and pulling me into him. "No angel, I'm not."

"Then why are you upset?" I ask, voice still quivering, afraid of the potential backlash.

"When you sleep. It's the only time I can read your mind," he mumbles.

I sit up and put my hands in my lap, wringing them together anxiously. "Oh," was all I replied.

He looks at me intently, "No one can touch you. I'm not going to let anyone hurt you. Do you understand?"

I nod my head and curl back into his side before succumbing to sleep once again.

———————————————————————————