𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄

CHAPTER THREE | ORIGINAL SIN

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

FOR THE FIRST TIME IN A VERY LONG TIME, THEY HAD HOPE. When they returned to Mystic Falls, Sheriff Forbes had managed to find the safe that Silas had dropped Stefan into the quarry— but Stefan was nowhere to be found. She knew that Stefan was out there somewhere, hungry and waiting to be found and the universe wanted them to find Stefan too.

Both Katherine and Elena had the same dream about Stefan. He was burning outside of a random bar with a red neon sign and without further conversation, the four set off on the road in search of Stefan. Elena sat in the front passenger seat beside her boyfriend, while Klara had to sit beside Katherine.

"Elena, are you sure you know which bar it is?" Klara asked with a tone of scepticism. "That last bar we passed back there had a red awning and a neon sign."

"I'll know when I see it." The Gilbert girl nodded confidently as she turned her attention back to the road ahead. She knew in her heart that she would be the one to lead them to Stefan and Klara just had to believe that.

"Me too." Katherine pulled herself upright and in between the headrest of the two front seats, which caused everyone to roll their eyes.

Klara gritted her teeth and glared at the Pierce woman. "Yeah, I don't remember asking you. Sit back down." With very little strength, the blonde vampire pushed Katherine back into her seat. Since Katherine was no longer a vampire, thanks to the cure that ran through her veins, she was no longer a threat to anyone.

"I'm just trying to make conversation. Anything to drown out the sound of eggshells breaking." Katherine rolled her eyes. "So, Elena, I couldn't help but overhear. You've been dreaming about Stefan all summer? That must be really stressful on a new relationship, especially when you're having those kinds of dreams lying in bed next to his brother." The doppelganger's eyes flickered to Klara. "And living with Stefan's girlfriend. Or is it ex-girlfriend? I can't keep up these days."

"They weren't dreams. It was just a bad feeling. Like something wasn't right with him."

"Oh, no. Yeah, sure. I totally get it. There's still a connection between you two." The Pierce woman was clearly having too much fun getting underneath the skin of literally everyone in the car.

"Ignore her. As soon as the vervains out of her system, Klara can compel her and we'll put her on mute." Damon glanced toward his girlfriend with a reassuring smile before he looked at Klara, who was slumped against the window.

"Or I could just snap her neck and put her out of her misery right now." Klara clapped her hands together as a smirk of satisfaction lingered across her lips.

"Or maybe Stefan's been trying to reach out to you all summer but you've been too distracted with Damon to help him so he reached out to the person that he trusts— Me." Silence befell the car and Katherine just chuckled. "Nah. You're probably right. Elena and I have the exact same dream, on the exact same night. Why would that mean something?"