𝐒𝐈𝐗𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍

CHAPTER SIXTEEN | BECAUSE

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

THE WORST PART ABOUT TURNING YOUR HUMANITY WAS DEALING WITH WHAT YOU HAD DONE. Klara hated what she had done while her humanity was off, what she hated, even more, was the person she became without it. She was ruthless, dangerous, and she didn't care who she hurt— that was not her. 

Nobody had dared tell Klara how awful it was to relive through your own horror story. Every single time the blonde shut her eyes, all she heard was the screams of destruction that she had left in her wake. Part of her felt like it wasn't her— like it was just a horrific nightmare that but with every memory that tumbled back, the shame followed suit.

Klara took a deep breath and turned the shower off before she stepped toward the mirror. She couldn't even see her reflection due to the condensation, so she used her hand to rub it away. As she stared at herself, she barely recognized her own reflection.

She closed her eyes.

"Please! Please, don't hurt me!" A woman cried out fearfully as she looked around to the dozens of bodies that had been slaughtered in the night club. Most of the humans were drained off blood, some had lost their heads while a small few were just killed out of sheer entertainment. "I don't want to die!"

"Well, most people don't want to die, that's what makes it fun." Klara chuckled as she used her thumb to remove the remnants of blood from her bottom lip. She sucked the blood and smirked. "You know, I always used to be afraid of it— the blood."

The woman's eyes widened in horror as she watched the veins underneath Klara's eyes become prominent. "Wha— What changed? What the hell are you?"

"Isn't that obvious?" Klara scoffed as she gestured to the bodies all around the dancefloor, though the music still blared. "I'm a vampire, duh. And, as for the being afraid of the blood part— I stopped caring."

Klara sped straight forward and grabbed the woman by the throat. She viciously tilted her head to the side and sank her fangs into her carotid artery while cries of pain and agony left the woman's throat. With every single drop that Klara drained, the cries for help quietened until finally, her body dropped to the ground.

"Klara." Damon's voice called from the bathroom door which caused the woman to turn around, startled. He noticed the look of horror that had quickly formed on her face. "You okay?"

"Fine." The blonde vampire exhaled deeply and nodded her head, but it was all a lie. Klara didn't know whether she would ever be okay again. Whether she could ever make peace with what she had done.

"So, uh—" The Salvatore cleared his throat and leaned against the wooden doorframe while Klara turned her attention back to her reflection. "We've got your blonde sidekick hauled up in a B&B. Since you're her emotional trigger would you—"