|20.|

Chapter Twenty ︎ The King's Queen |2|

"So what's that supposed to mean?" Dahlia asked.

"Nothing. We should probably get out of here, though. Someone could come into my office at any second and notice I'm gone."

Dahlia looked to Alex.

"You will report to us if anything happens. We'll come every day at 10 pm into your office to get any other details, unless you send us a text or something that is signed by your initials. Until then, my friend." Alex hugged his longtime friend, happy to see that he didn't actually betray him.

Dahlia created a portal to Lukas' study, but before they walked through it, she asked Lukas one last question. "Why was the letter in cyrillic?"

"I didn't want to risk anyone opening the letter before you did. This way, there was less of a chance of anyone understanding it. Also, I wanted Alex to read it too. I was sure he'd understand the actual message in it, whereas you might've gone Chaotic and killed me in a second." Lukas walked into his office, followed by Alex and Dahlia.

The room was thankfully empty, allowing the couple to return home safely.

***

"I've got a bad feeling." Alex walked into their cluttered office, taking off his duster and throwing it on a stack of books.

"Why? About what?"

"I don't have a clue, Dahlia. That's the problem. I was in the middle of a meeting and I got this feeling like I was sick. I didn't feel weak or anything, but I was covered in a cold sweat and my stomach was churning as if I was seeing the most disgusting thing in the world." Alexander paced the floor.

"Has it happened before?" Dahlia asked, closing a file she was working on.

"Not that I remember, at least not this strongly."

"When was the last time you ate?"

"Blood or actual food?" He stopped pacing.

"Both, I guess."

"Friday, I think. I'm not that sure." He looked at a calendar on the wall next to him.

"Alex, it's Sunday. You're probably starving. Come on, we'll both get a snack from the kitchen." Dahlia got up from her chair and walked to the elevator, holding hands with Alexander. An idea popped into her head while the elevator went down the many floors of their castle. "Where is Thanatos?"

"I don't know. He hasn't really been all that active lately. I think he's roaming around in his spritual form."

"Maybe you should let him out. You seem more relaxed when you let him out for a while. I'll make sure he doesn't do anything."

"I don't know. A scandal is really not what I need right now, and he always seems to make his appearance into one."

"Thanatos? Are you there?" Dahlia asked, looking into Alexander's blue eyes. "I need to speak to you."

His eyes didn't change. "I doubt he's going to come when you ask him. He hates being ordered around."

"Please, T. I really need your help." No change. "I miss you."