Chapter Nine

Six months had passed since Goku's death. This left only six months before the saiyans would arrive to destroy the earth. Yamcha, Tien Shinhan, Krillin, Chiaotzu, and Yajirobe continued their training under Kami's watchful eye. Meanwhile Gohan had finally learned to survive in the wilderness where Piccolo had left him. Goku continued to run on snake way, trying to reach the end in order to see King Kai. As for Mae she didn't care about the looming threat of the saiyans, all she wanted was her brother back.

One day as Gohan was enjoying a meal of berries a drooling t-rex approached him. Gohan looked up at the beast and greeted it, "oh, hi. You really don't give up." The dinosaur roared in response and made to eat him. Gohan jumped up and took off running. He turned around and made a face at the t-rex, "nynah nynah!"

The dinosaur continued to chase him until Gohan suddenly jumped high into the air. The t-rex slammed into a rock pillar, becoming dazed. Gohan drew his sword and grinned, "time for another slice!" He brought his sword down on the t-rex's tail, slicing clean through.

As he held the steak up on the end of his sword he asked the dinosaur, "don't lizards' tails grow back?" When the dinosaur didn't answer him he went a few paces away and started a fire, using his energy. He held the steak out and began to cook.

Above the young boy, Piccolo watched, "he seems to have this down. It's time for the real training to start."

"Yaaaah!" Gohan yelled as he went in to kick Piccolo. He kicked out rapidly but only met Piccolo's hand. Gohan jumped back and went in for another attack, however before he could hit Piccolo suddenly vanished. Gohan looked around confused. "Where'd he go?! He disappeared!"

"Look behind you," Piccolo said as he kicked Gohan in the back. The boy cried out in pain at the sudden hit.

"You went too fast!" Gohan said, rubbing the back of his head. "I couldn't see you!"

Piccolo crossed his arms, "don't try to see. Just feel."

Gohan stood and dusted himself off. "I don't know what you mean," he grumbled. "It's not fair that way. If I can't see you..."

Before Gohan could complain more Piccolo sent beams from his eyes to shock the boy. The boy yelled in pain and his hair stood on end. "If you have time to whine then you have time to act," Piccolo said. "Remember you only have six months. You will eat, you will sleep, and you will fight with me. Now prepare yourself."

"But-but I'll die," Gohan stammered.

"Or become strong," Piccolo smirked. "Stronger than me, and the saiyans who come to destroy us."

Gohan looked at him in disbelief. Before he could respond Piccolo began attacking, trying to build the boy's defense.

While her brother went through a harsh training with Piccolo, Mae had finally learned how to control her energy. Every day when she went outside to "play" she went to the spot where she had seen her father train. In the far corner of the meadow an enormous rock sat. Mae cracked her knuckled and stretched her arms.

"Today is the day you move, rock," she said with a look of determination.

Mae put her hands on the cold stone and began to push with all her strength. Her feet dug into the ground as sweat beaded on her forehead. She ground her teeth together and closed her eyes. As she took a step forward she lost her footing and slammed her face into the rock. She cried out and put her hands over her nose to stop the blood from spurting.

"Ow, ow, ow," Mae whined as she ran to the water edge. As she cleaned her face tears trickled out of her eyes but she quickly wiped them away. "If I can't even move a rock then I won't be able to beat Piccolo." She wiped her face with her shirt, glad she was wearing black. She didn't want her mother suspecting anything. She didn't want to add anymore stress to Chi-Chi.