Chapter Ten

"A test?" Goku asked King Kai. "What sort of test?"

"You must make me, the Lord of Worlds, laugh at a joke of yours," King Kai said with a grin on his face.

"Huh?!" Goku exclaimed. "But I'm no comedian!"

"It's your only hope," King Kai said. "And I only laugh at the most sophiscated humor."

"I...I don't know," Goku said, slighty panicked.

"I thought so. Have a nice run home," King Kai waved a hand, dismissing the saiyan.

"I don't even know what comedians read!" Goku yelled. "Comic books?!"

A shock went through King Kai at Goku's words. "What do comedians read...'comic books'...hehehe..." he covered his mouth with his hands as he began to laugh and snort.

"I did it!" Goku exclaimed with excitement. "I made you laugh!"

"Curse it all," King Kai wiped the tears from his eyes. "Not a comedian he says...! I gotta remember that one." He composed himself and turned to Goku. "It is so. I shall train you. You will be a master of humor."

Goku looked confused. "Humor? Who wants humor? I want martial arts lessons."

"Martial arts?" King Kai repeated. "Why didn't you say so?" he repositioned himself in a fighting stance. "Alright, try and attack me. Let's see how good you are."

"Uhm...I'd love to but I feel so heavy I can hardly move," Goku said.

"Where are you from? Earth?" King Kai asked.

"Yeah," Goku nodded.

"No wonder. This is a small planet but it has a powerful gravity. About ten times that of your world. So you weigh ten times as much." King Kai explained. "Try to jump up. As high as you can."

"Okay," Goku nodded before jumping high into the air. When he landed he grunted, "it's no good. I can hardly get up."

'Hmm, jumping that far at ten times his usual gravity,' King Kai thought to himself. 'This is going to be interesting.'

"Okay, I'll give you lessons," King Kai decided. "But how much time do you have?"

"I don't know how how long I spent runnin' on Snake Way, but I don't think there are many days left. These Saiyan guys are coming to Earth to destroy it. Just teach me as much as you can in the time I've got," Goku said.

"Saiyans huh?" King Kai asked. "Sounds like you've got a real problem on your hands. Let's see..." his antenna came forward, "maybe I can learn when they're due for Earth. Hmm, we've definitely got some flying saiyans alright, on a pace to reach Earth in 158 days."

"Wow! That's amazing but how...?" Goku said before trailing off. "Wait, only 158 days?"

"Oh don't worry," King Kai reassured. "It'll be more than enough time."

"But...but," Goku went to protest.

"158 days with me is like a few thousand years training on earth," King Kai interrupted him. "Of course that still doesn't mean you will win against them. Those two saiyans are incredibly strong. Matter of fact, they're stronger than me."

"Wh-What?! St-stronger than you?!" Goku stammered.

"You got it," King Kai said. "So to beat them you'll have to outdo me at the very least." This left Goku speechless. "Shall we get started?" King Kai turned his head. "Hey Bubbles!"

"Ooh Ooh!" Bubbles came over at King Kai's call.

"Until you can overcome this gravity, there's no point in anything else," King Kai said. "Your first lesson is to simply catch Bubbles.

"Okay," Goku nodded. He turned and slowly began walking after the monkey.

"Ooh ooh," Bubbles began to move away slowly.

"Stop," Goku said. "Urrrgh...It's impossible! I can't be this heavy." He pulled the top of his gi down so he could remove his undershirt. It hit the ground with a loud thud. After Goku removed his weighted boots as well. "I'll catch you," he swore.

"Oh, extra weights on him already," King Kai remarked.

"Heh heh, now I'll get you!" Goku exclaimed as he chased after Bubbles.

Just as Goku was about to grab the monkey, Bubbles sped away. Goku dropped to his knees in surprise.

"N-no it can't be," Goku gasped. He sat on his behind and looked at King Kai. "He's too fast. I don't know if I'll ever be able to..."

"Fine, then go home," King Kai replied.

"Wait," Goku said. "Can I get something to eat? I haven't eaten in six months and I'm starving!"

"I guess," King Kai said. "You're the first hungry dead man I've ever heard of."

Once Goku was fed King Kai told Goku to go and catch Bubbles. "Oh, put those heavy clothes and shoes back on. It'll be better exercise."

"Huh? But with those on I can barely move," Goku said.

"Let me tell you something. The home world of the saiyans has gravity at least as great as this." Goku was surprised at this. "Do you understand now where they get their strength from? And that doesn't even include their natural fighting instincts. You can't even imagine how deadly they are."

"Sure I can," Goku smirked. "I mean I'm a saiyan too."

"Eh?" King Kai was taken aback as Goku went to do his training.

Meanwhile Gohan sat with Piccolo. His face and body bruised and aching from his training session. He put a hand on his cheek, "oh ow."

"Hmph, at least the last six months have taught you not to be a crybaby," Piccolo said.

"Hey you fought my daddy before right?" Gohan asked.

"Yes, and I will again," Piccolo answered. "If we beat the saiyans it'll be his turn next."

"Daddy used to say that you're not as bad of a guy as you used to be before you died and came back," Gohan said.

"Hmph," Piccolo scoffed.

"I think he's right," Gohan continued. "But mommy and grandpa were scared of you."

"Shut up and go to sleep! Tomorrow won't be as easy as today!" Piccolo snapped.

"Yes sir," Gohan nodded and laid down. He quickly fell asleep, tired of the days events.

"Damn brat," Piccolo frowned.

It was the middle of the night. Mae laid next to the lake, panting. She had pushed herself a little harder than before. She worked on controlling her energy to make blasts while honing her flying abilities. She had nearly fell from the sky but luckily landed on a tree and was able to climb down.

"I wish daddy was here," Mae sat up and got a drink of water. "He could save Gohan easily."

Mae put a hand on her chest and focused on Gohan. She could feel him but she didn't know where he was. She closed her eyes and calmed her heart. She let the feeling of her brother expand. Suddenly she felt not only her twin but another person. His energy was large, making Mae snap her eyes open.

"That must be Piccolo," Mae commented. "Is that how strong he is? I don't understand. Daddy would know."

Frusterated she stood and punched at the air. The shockwave created flew at the massive boulder in front of her and shattered it. Mae looked down at her hand in surprise.

"What was that?" She wondered. She closed her eyes and thought back to seeing her father train. Hadn't he done something like that? She asked herself.

"I'll be ready soon," Mae decided. "I'll destroy you Piccolo."