Look Deeper: Pertemis

AN: Okay guys, pretty short but I got inspired by WeirdHead. She wrote a story called "Gods and Demigods Read Greek Gods" (I'm pretty sure that's what it's called) and on the Artemis' chapter... well, let just say I don't really like it. So she angered me enough to give me an inspiration! So in a way, I'm thanking her! 

Enjoy this one-shot!

Short summary: People think Artemis is cold and heartless. But when you look closer, deeper, you will see a completely different story.

Look Deeper

There's something lots of people overlook about Artemis. Cold and Heartless, they said, but that's not all. Not everyone wears their heart on their sleeve. Not everyone's face is full of emotions.

Artemis is the example. She hides her emotions well. It's not like she wanted to, she was once a carefree goddess, but because she needed to. If she's seen as a carefree goddess, man will take advantage of her. And as weeks turned to years, nobody remembered what she used to be. No one has looked deep enough to see past her emotion mask.

All but one demigod. Percy Jackson, the son of Poseidon. He first saw Artemis after his first quest when he was returning Zeus' master bolt. But he didn't really pay attention to her.

The second time was when he held up the sky for her. And there, right there, he saw a flicker of emotion across her eyes. Something there that proves she cares. He knew it from that day on, that Artemis isn't as heartless as everyone said she is.

His theory is proven correct when he found Artemis, alone in the Olympian garden after the quest ended. He saw her crying softly and he couldn't help it. He stood and watched, as she cried herself to sleep there in the garden.

He had gently draped a blanket he found nearby on top of her, wishing her a good night.

The next morning, Artemis awoke to a blanket around her and her head leaned against the tree. She cursed herself for being so valuable, for letting emotions get the better of her. She doesn't know who gave her the blanket though, the only thing she wants to know.

She sighed as she quickly got back to her castle.

/

After the titan war, there was a party on Olympus. And again, Percy founded Artemis in the garden. This time, he slowly approached her.

"Lady Artemis?"

Artemis jumped up from his voice. She quickly wiped away her tears and wiped all emotions off her face. She turned toward the boy. "What do you want, boy?"

"I was just wondering, are you okay?" Percy asked the goddess in front of her. Now, as he looks, he realizes that her eyes are the only thing that says anything about her feelings. Her face was expressionless.

"Of course," Artemis scoffed. "Why wouldn't I be?"

"You were crying," Percy answered boldly. Artemis' face crumbled for a second, but a second's all it took for Percy to glimpse everything.

"I'm not," Artemis finally mumbled out. She turned her head so that it's looking at the ground. "I don't cry."

"Everyone cries," Percy protested.

"Not me," Artemis replied before walking away. "Enjoy your party."

Percy ran after her though. Without thinking, he grabbed one of her hands, causing Artemis to glare at Percy.

"What do you want?" She sneered at him. Percy was unfazed by it though, his mind set on something else.

"I get it."

Artemis was taken back. "What?"

"I get it," Percy said again. "I get why you hide your emotions."

Artemis snatched her hand back and turned her back on him, tear threatening to fall again. "No you don't."

"I do," Percy insisted. "I understand. Cause-"

"You don't," Artemis snapped back before started jogging away from him, tears now falling freely. "You don't understand. No one will."

/

They met each other again after the giant war. Percy found himself in the garden again, away from his friends. Not surprising, he saw Artemis there, her back against the tree. He quietly sat down beside her.

None of them said anything, enjoying the peace and quiet. Finally, Artemis spoke as she wiped a tear from her eyes. "What are you doing here?"

"I can ask you the same thing," Percy countered. Artemis found her traitour lips smiling at his comment.

"Seriously," Artemis started. "What are you doing here?"

"I was looking for you."

"Why?" Artemis asked, turning her head so she was looking at Percy.

"I want to tell you I actually understand."

"You don't-" Artemis started protesting again but this time Percy beat her to it.

"You hide your emotions. You want to keep yourself safe, you want to set a good example for others. You want to help others even if inside, you are crumbling."

Artemis sat there dumb stricken. "You really do understand."

"I do," Percy replied with a smile as he put his arms around Artemis, holding a shivering form. "So please let me help."

"Okay."

"Cause I think you-" Percy cut himself off. "Wait, what?"

"Okay," Artemis repeated herself.

Percy hugged her tighter. "Know that I'll always be here if you need to talk."

"Thank you," Artemis finally said. Percy smiled.

"No, thank you for letting me help you."