17

2 years later and Virgil found himself yet again just staring at himself in the mirror. He sighed as he put his ring on and started for the kitchen. He started on breakfast without a single hesitation. He'd been doing this routine now for 3 years since this hell became his life. He didn't even need to look at the clock to know Marcos would be getting up. He just knew... by that creeping scent of hate and psychotics that drowned him in a desire to pour bleach into the assholes coffee."

"Here, Love." Virgil lulled softly as he handed the demon that he was married to his cup of morning toxicity. "Sleep well?" Marcos huffed softly as he took the cup and sat down, waiting for his plate. 

"It was fine." Virgil quickly mate him his plate passing it over as he started making more. He let the food sit on the stove as he moved to the fridge. "Boss called."

"Oh?" Virgil tensed slightly as he set the lunch meat on the counter. Marcos just nodded.

"Yeah, he said he's moving the trip start date up. Now it's going to be a whole month. It's as if he forgets I have a family." Virgil flinched subtle as Marcos suddenly pressed a kiss to his neck only to pull away with a laugh. "You missed a spot." Marcos gestured to a bruse on Virgil jaw making the younger clench his fists to hold himself back. "You'll do good without me here right? After all you'll have your hands full anyway."

"Here you go." Virgil handed a lunch box over as he smiled watching as Marcus just rolled his eyes. "You don't want to be late."

"Of course not. I'll be home late tonight. Make sure he's in bed BEFORE I get home." Virgil's eyes darkened as he watched Marcos walk off. "I'll be looking forward to tonight."

"I fucking hate you." Virgil growled once he knew his dear husband was gone for the day. He leaned against the counter and tried to calm himself before moving to clean everything up. He put the food from the stove onto a small plate before fixing himself up, placing it on the table to cool as he walked off. "Hun?" Virgil whispered softly as he gently opened the door furthest from their room and smiled seeing the sleeping boy just laying there in bed. "Come on, little one. It's time to get up." Virgil gently nudged the blanket down as he brushed the soft blackened hair from the boys pale but rosey face. "Colt, Daddy need's you to wake up now." 

"No." Colt whined playfully as he smiled and nuzzled into his blankets. "Five more minutes."

"I've already made you your breakfast. Your father's gone to work. It's time for you to get up."

"But daddy..." Colt sighed as he gently pushed himself up with a pout. "'m tired."

"Well, how late did you stay up?"

"Dunno." Colt laughed as he got up and waddled over to his desk. Virgil just smiled as he watched his little 8 year old grab his favorite notebook filled with handwritten stories. "I was reading."

"Oh?" Colt nodded happily as he handed the book over before jumping back up onto his bed with a grin. "Well? Which one?" Virgil knew exactly what he wanted. They had their own little routine. And it always... ALWAY... involved at least one story about...

"The prince!" Virgil's eyes shined as he flipped through the pages before sighing and just closing the book entirely making Colt frown in confusion. "Daddy? Are you going to read?"

"Why read when I can tell you about him myself?" Colt's eyes lit up as Virgil smiled setting the notebook off to the side. "He is my prince after all. I'm sure I can think of a new story to tell."

"But I love that one."

"I know you do." Virgil couldn't help but melt over how Colt's eyes lit up over the idea of the prince's story. "Well... let's see. In the story, The prince fights this evil dragon which for the man he loves right?" Colt just nodded as virgil glanced off to the side. "What if I told you the dragon witch wasn't all he's fought?"

"It wasn't."

"Oh god no. R-... The prince has fought many things but... The one battle he's fought the longest and the hardest... was the evil shadow prince." Colt's eyes lit up as he scrambled to sit properly cuddling his pillow close since he wasn't allowed any really toys. Marcos wouldn't allow it. "The evil shadow prince's only job is to make the prince sad. He hurt's the prince and makes him think really really bad things."

"Like what?"

"Like... Like that his brother the duke doesn't like him. That he's alone..." Colt's eyes widened as he whined out a no making Virgil nod sadly. "Yeah. He's a real meanie that one. He lies to the prince all the time and is really hard to fight. Sometimes... There was one time the prince almost lost."

"NO! The shadow prince can't win. The prince has to protect his love!" Virgil faltered a bit as Colt teared up. "He has to daddy. He can't lose. He just can't."

"It's ok. The prince got some help from a wizard and his brother the duke. He went on a mission to get stronger so that he can fight off the evil shadow prince once and for all." Colt giggled as he hugged his pillow even tighter. "The prince is incredibly strong... and so very brave."

"Daddy... Can..." Virgil's eyes narrowed in confusion as his son shifted slightly. "Can... Can he save you?" 

"What?" Colt frowned as he looked up to see the shock in Virgil's eyes.

"Can the prince save you? From the shadow prince?"

"What makes you think the shadow prince is hurting me?" Colt's eyes narrowed as he pointed to Virgil chin making the older freeze up. His hand went to the bruise and he just crashed. 

"You cry a lot. I hear you when I'm supposed to be sleeping. You said the evil shadow prince made him sad and hurt him. He's doing that to you too right so... maybe the prince can save you too? You said he was your prince. So... wouldn't he try?"

"Oh, hun. He would more than just try." Colt's eyes shined as Virgil smiled down at him. "He would everything he could to protect the both of us. Unfortunatly... He has his own battles he must fight. So let me handle the shadow prince ok? You just get yourself ready. You should have already been on the computer for your classes already. So... Chop chop." 

"Ok, daddy."