21

"So..." Roman giggled as he walked the grounds with Virgil, little Colt trailing behind. "How's married life been, Virge." 

"Fine... I guess." Roman's eyes narrowed as Virgil shifted awkwardly a bit noticing the look Colt gave him from behind. "There's not much going on. I stay home, homeschool Colt, and care for the house. Typical stuff really. He's off on a business trip for the month so I thought it was a good time to... stretch and get out for a bit." 

"I can understand that. Sometimes it can get a bit stuffy here too." Roman laughed as he scratched his neck a bit. "Though they let me have some leeway. Since I'm a residential I get a few perks. I'm not in any proper rehab or program so it's not like they have many rules for me. Hence why I was able to have an off day today instead of going anywhere."

"You seem to be doing well..."

"Yeah, that nasty shadow prince doesn't seem to be hurting you." Roman faltered as he shot Virgil a confused look. Colt just giggled as he bounced happily. "Did you beat it? Did you win? Maybe you can..."

"Colt!" Colt jumped freezing up suddenly as Virgil tensed. "Sorry, Ro. He's just a kid. I didn't think it right to fully explain everything that happened." Roman's eyes widened as Virgil rubbed his arm anxiously. "I may have told him you came here to help fight out an evil shadow prince."

"Yeah!" Colt beamed as Roman met his gaze seeing the boy so giddy. "Daddy said there was a mean nasty shadow prince that made you really sad and tried to hurt you."

"Oh." Roman frowned as Virgil tensed up even more beside him. "That's... That's one way to explain it."

"I'm sorry..."

"Hey no... Don't apologize, Stormcloud. How else were you going to explain it?" Roman brushed the younger tears away as he shook his head. "Don't worry about it, Virgil. It's ok."

"So?" Colt glanced between the two of them as Roman's eyes darkened. "Did you beat him? Did you win? Daddy said there was a time he almost got you. I told him that's not right. That meanie can't hurt the prince. But then daddy said you got some help so... Did... Did it... Did it work?" 

"You mean... Did I defeat the dastardly villain?" Colt's eyes lit up as he nodded making Roman sigh sadly. He slowly sat down letting Colt do the same as he just smiled. "Well... That's the thing little one. This villain... He's really tough. And worst still... he's got friends." Colt's eyes went wide as Roman nodded. "One really really close one two, who likes to make people scared." Colt's instantly turned to see Virgil just staring off into space. "They like to work together, but... they're are way's to fight them."

"But... Did you... did... Can you beat them? The big meanies?" Roman chuckled softly as he took the kids hands.

"It depends. These villains... they don't like to stay gone. I fight them every day. But... I've won every battle. I don't plan on letting them win... not again. I have a lot of friends and family who help me. So... I've grown to be stronger than those dastardly dark villains. They try to fight but I don't let them get far." Colt stared at his hands as he tried to work through his thoughts. Virgil knew what he was going to ask.

"Colt..." Virgil whispered as his son frowned. "Please, don..."

"Can you help, Daddy?" Roman froze up as Virgil paled. 

"Help your daddy? Why? With what?" Virgil was shaking at this point.

"Colt. Don't."

"Daddy has his own shadow prince." Virgil flinched as Roman's eyes darted up to him.

"It's not... It's not the same. He's just a child. He doesn't understand..."

"Daddy, you need the pri..."

"Colt I said don't." Virgil yelled making the boy clam up suddenly and the guilt that tore through the father was immense. "I... I didn't mean to... I'm sorry. I just..."

"Virgil?" Virgil froze as Roman slowly stood back up. "It's ok." Roman smiled softly as he held his hands out, letting Virgil decide if he wanted to accept or not. "It's ok, Stormfly." Virgil slowly moved till he was against Roman's chest melting into the embrace as Roman wrapped his arms around him and nuzzled into his neck. "I've got you. It's going to be ok."

"I don't want to talk about it." Roman nodded in understanding as the two just stayed there. "Besides... It really isn't the same thing. I promise. I'm ok."

"Ok or not isn't what I'm trying to reasurre." Roman chuckled as he just held Virgil tighter. "Virgil... You know how much I care about you. If you need me, I don't care for what ever reason... I'm still here for you. Ok? I love you."

"I know, Princey." Virgil pulled away and smiled as he just rolled his eyes playfully. "I'm ok. Really. It's not what it sounded like." Colt just stood there watching. This look of amazement in his eyes. His dad was smiling. Like... Actually smiling. Roman... The prince... He was holding his dad and the two of them just looked so... happy. He'd never seen his dad look like that. He'd never seen him being held like that. Roman had a look on his face that his Father NEVER had with him. Sure he didn't know what it was but he knew it was good thing. His daddy needed the prince. He needed Roman and Colt could see that clear as day. 

"Hey Daddy?" The two jumped to separate having actually forgotten what they were doing for awhile as Colt just smiled. "I want to hear more stories about the Prince." Roman laughed as Virgil grumbled slightly in embarrassment. "Do you... Do you think we can come back again?"

"Well, you're always free to." Virgil frowned as Roman gave him a soft look. "I can give you're name to the staff like I did for Remus. Full access, all the perks... Perks being that you get to see this annoying but whenever you feel the fancy." Roman joked making Virgil actually laugh properly for the first time in... so long. So long in fact, Colt had never heard it and was taken by surprise. 

"Sure, Princey. Why not? I have a month of complete free time. I might just come here so much you'd get sick of me." Roman's eyes seemed to spark as he smiled.

"Oh, Stormy, I don't think I ever could get sick of you." Virgil laughed again as he rolled his eyes.

"I guess I'll just have to put that to the test then."