21

"Let's go! We're going to be late!" 

I clapped my hands to pressure Clyden and Naomi more. Clyden was busy carrying the boxes to the van I rented while Naomi was busy putting on her earrings. It was probably her first time attending a charity event and her first time actually celebrating Christmas. I chose to spend this special holiday with the children who did not have a family to celebrate it with. 

I guess it was a reflection of me, huh? It had been my tradition every year to celebrate my Christmas with orphanages because though I had my parents with me, I never celebrated Christmas with them. Siguro noong bata pa ako, we did celebrate it for like... less than five times. Usually, they would leave me alone in the house, opening gifts by myself. I knew exactly how they felt. Children needed someone to lean into. Kahit ngayon lang, I wanted to be their light. 

Holidays had always been lonely for me until I met my friends. With them, I felt a different feeling. It was the sense of belongingness. They became my family, and they treated me the same. When I felt that kind of comfort with my high school friends, I decided to make more friends to fill in the emptiness inside me, hoping to feel the same way. 

"Some of my friends are going to be there," I told Clyden and Naomi while we were inside the car. Clyden was the one driving, and Naomi was in the backseat alone. 

"How many are 'some'?" Naomi raised a brow, doubting my choice of words. I laughed at her remark, knowing where she was coming from. 

"Don't worry. I only invited my high school friends. About four of them will be there," I answered. 

I was so excited while we were on our way and became even more excited when Clyden parked the car. I immediately went down and helped him with the boxes. Some of the staff from the orphanage also helped us. I also invited children who were victims of the last typhoon disaster in the area, and when I saw all of them lined up with smiles on their faces, I felt glad. 

Luna and Sevi were already there, talking with some children and laughing with them. When Sevi saw me, he stood up and went for a hug.

"Oh." He suddenly stopped midway when he saw Clyden behind me, carrying a box and staring at him with no emotion on his face. "Hello, Sam!" He just gave me an awkward wave instead. 

"You can help carry the boxes. Marami pang natira sa van," Clyden told him before walking away. I gave Sevi an apologetic smile because of the way Clyden said it! He didn't even ask if it was okay for Sevi to carry the boxes! 

"Ano ka ba, Sam! Okay lang! Kita mo ba 'to?" Sevi rolled his sleeves up and flexed his biceps. I can't help but cringe and walk away, ignoring him. 

After placing the box on the table, I opened them and helped some staff in placing the food on the tables prepared in the covered court. Ang laman pa ng ibang box ay 'yong donations from my friends. Some toys and clothes the kids could use. 

For clothes and pre-loved items na hindi naman pang-kids, I decided to leave them at home and just donate them to other beneficiaries. For cash donations, I donated them to the families in this area affected by the typhoon. Some of the cash donations, especially from Elyse, pinambili ko ng relief goods. She actually donated the largest amount of money. Hindi ko nga alam kung paano niya nalaman 'yong about sa charity event... and how she knew Sevi dahil si Sevi ang nag-abot sa 'kin. It was a bit weird but siguro magkakilala sila dahil pareho silang uma-attend ng UAAP?