34

"There's more inside the fridge." 

I placed two more cans of beer on the table when Clyden asked to drink more liquor, quietly this time like he was thinking deeply about something. I had already finished cleaning the table, so I left them there to take a shower. I checked Avrielle and saw her sleeping while holding a tablet. Nakatulugan na pala niya 'yong panonood. 

I kissed her forehead before leaving the lamp on. I was wearing a pair of shorts and an oversized shirt. I was about to go out of the room when Clyden suddenly appeared at the door. Napaatras ako at naglakad siya papasok sa loob, taking a seat on the bed while staring at Avrielle. He looked even more drunk. 

"You know, I thought she was yours." He laughed a bit. "When I first saw you with her... And because her name was similar to the name you wanted for your future daughter." 

"What?" Nanlaki ang mata ko sa gulat. Hindi ko alam na ganoon pala ang iniisip niya! For someone who was born intelligent, he sure believed in rumors a lot. "How could you say that? She's already five! We were still together when she was born." 

"I thought you cheated behind my back." He scoffed, touching Avrielle's cheek. "I was so confused because she looked like Haze a bit... but her surname was Fernandez. I thought to myself that it didn't make any sense at all, so I set the idea aside." 

"Oh, damn," I whispered, realizing the issue here. "Fernandez is my best friend's surname, Yanna. The father of the child is Hiro, Haze's brother. I didn't know you were doubting me. I'm sorry for only explaining this now. You didn't ask either." 

"Because I was scared that it might be true." He looked at the ceiling and sighed, placing his hands on his sides to support his weight. "I was watching you with her for a long time, and then Haze came into the picture. I thought that you would make a great family... He has time for you, and you won't worry about anything else. Actually, I felt jealous. I wanted to spend time with you too." 

"So that's why you were staring a lot?" We were whispering so we won't wake up the kid. "But you're still getting the wrong idea here. Haze doesn't like me, and not because you're telling me to give him a chance, I suddenly will. I can make my own decisions. I only act on what I want." 

"What do you want, then?" He looked at me. 

I looked at Avrielle and opened the door so we could leave the room. I didn't want to disturb the innocent sleeping child. Clyden stood up and went out of the room with me before going back to the living room to drink another can of beer. Nakaka-amaze na hindi pa siya nagpapass out, knowing that his alcohol tolerance was low. 

"That's mine." Kinuha ko ang beer sa kanya at ininuman 'yon. We were seated at the floor again, just in front of the coffee table. Nakatingin lang kaming dalawa sa malayo habang nag-iisip. Hindi ko alam kung ano ang iniisip niya pero tahimik lang siya. "Can you still go to the hospital tomorrow?" 

"Yeah, I have to go back. I just asked someone to cover me for a few hours," he said, still looking away. "Don't you like him?" He changed the topic again. That was still bothering him, huh?