Decisions

Damian hated this, he detested it, he absolutely...

He was absolutely preoccupied.

What was he supposed to do?? It all started as a normal day. And then when he was just getting back from patrol and going back to sleep. Then he just passed out, he isn't even able to remember a thing about the assassins that broke in. He was probably too tired and had lowered his guard. Big mistake.

When he woke up he was at someplace in the league HQ in Nanda Parbat. His mother was sitting right in front of him.

"Took you long enough to wake up."

"Talia." He saluted without any emotion at all.

"That's no way to speak to your mother, if I remember correctly that's not the way I raised you."

Damian glared at her.

"You didn't raised me, my tutors did. You disappeared from my life for years."

Talia stayed quiet. Damian wished, not for the first time, that his mother was a more talkative person, or easier to read.

"Just tell me what you want so I can knock out your guys and get back to Gotham faster."

Talia stood up. "I was going to give you an offer Damian."

Damian didn't liked where this conversation was going.

"Your grandfather...he passed away a few weeks ago, we kept it a secret, some of the league members don't want me, a woman to take over his place, so I bought you-"

"No." Damian deadpanned.

"Damian, please, I could use your help, your absence has been noted."

Translation, I need you, I miss you.

"Yours has too mother, but I've made by decision ago."

"That was almost 8 years ago, you just turned 18, you're an adult, you are mature enough to make the right choice."

Damian stayed quiet. He wouldn't betray his father like that.

"Would you just...consider it?"

Damian nodded that tone she had used made him remember all the few good things she had trying and done for him when he was little, she was just a mother wanting her son back.

Talia looked at some assassins and nodded, they escorted Damian to his old room. It was empty, just like it had been all those years ago. It didn't looked as if anyone had ever lived in it.

Days passed by. Damian was able to train and take walks around the place, he knew he could escape whenever he wanted to, but his mother had seemed so...happy? In an Al Ghul way, because he was here. And also none of his siblings or his father had came to get him, so he fussed that either they didn't cared or they knew he was ok.

He had been seriously thinking about what Thalia had said. He had never thought about it much during the last years, but now...it did seemed as an opportunity. He could be able to restore the league from the inside and help the world for good. It was what her mother had once wanted, when he was young and destined to rule the world.

But on the other side was his family, the Waynes, the Bats. Who would probably be disappointed and who had always showed him that redemption was possible...that people could change...or at least most of them...and some times.

Did that included Talia as it included him?

Damian just wished he would make the right decision.

Weeks passed before his father finally came. That's just how much he cared about him.

"Damian, son, it's time to go back to Gotham." He had said.

Damian had asked why it took him so long.

Mother had interfered, "I had told him you were here with me, I showed him proves that we had not harmed you, he knew it is your choice to make."

Damian nodded. "I just wished we could have ever been together...not having to chose..." he muttered.

Both of his parents looked down.

"Damian, just understand, that whatever you chose will affect the rest of your life."

"I know father."

***

It took some time for him to decide. But he had finally decided to stay.

"Take care of Titus and Alfred for me."

"I will son, I will." Bruce had said before leaving him. The next time they would see it other would be as enemies. At least until Damian could make a change. Bruce knew he would.

Talia did so too. But at the same time she didn't liked it much.

"Your grandfather wouldn't be pleased with it."

Damian ignored her.

***

Years passed. Damian had had to kill again to gain and maintain his position as the Demon's Head.

He had started searching for assassins that he could trust, it had been a very dangerous mission, he had almost been caught a couple of times, some of his men had, and Damian and his mother had been very careful on cleaning all the evidence that would lead to them.

That didn't changed the fact that after all this years, his grandfather was already suspecting about their plans, they had to move fast.

His grandfather had called him, informed him about an ongoing mission that could affect the life of hundreds, if not millions. He had not informed Damian about it until it was already started, a signal that he did not trusted his grandson anymore.

Damian had to do something quickly, he had to start the operation this night if he didn't want to be responsable on the death of innocent people.

He looked at his mother.

They knew what to do.