Growing up

Sorry to disappear so long, I got sick for almost an entire month, and I'm just a couple of weeks before final exams, and I'm so done.

This is also pretty much inspired on me too.

Damian realized he's growing up.

He doesn't know what to do about it.

Damian never thought it was a big deal to imagine your future.

Damn, he didn't even had the choice to think about what he wanted in his future until he came with his father.

At the league, it had always been obvious that Damian would become the next head of the demon. And even when he came to live with his father, he wanted Robin, he wanted Batman, and he was sure he would become the CEO of Wayne Enterprises.

But now, Tim had proven himself to be very good at being at Wayne Enterprises, and if Damian thought about it.

He didn't wanted any of those things anymore.

It all started with a silly question.

"So Damian, just a couple years and you will start college, have you thought of any?" His father had asked.

Damian hadn't.

And that scared him.

He was already halfway done with 11th grade, some of his classmates were already starting to look for some colleges and universities, he was scared, scared that when he closed his eyes again he would already be too old for school.

Too old to chose.

That didn't scared him, that terrified him.

What if he never liked whatever he chose for living? What if he was stuck with it for the rest of his life? What if he was never good at any laboral thing?

He knew he was overthinking.

But he had been having a lot of free time during the last couple of days.

Damian was growing up, and he didn't knew what to do about it.

*
Bruce was at his office in the manor when he heard someone entering.

He decided to look up from his documents.

It was Damian. It surprised him, the youngest of his children had been pretty distant during the last couple of weeks, almost as if his mind wasn't here at all.

He hadn't expected for his youngest, he would have expected more for Tim to come in, he was staying at the manor for the weekend.

It wasn't like Damian to don't knock the door, not that Bruce was bothered by it, he was just intrigued.

His son didn't seemed to be here either.

"Damian, son, what's wrong?" He finally asked.

Damian felt nervous.

Stupid, stupid Damian, why bother father with this? He thought.

"Uh...I, nothing, it's nothing, i should probably leave you-"

"Oh, don't worry, I was just finishing anyways, I thought about going to see you, you've been distracted this days, is anything bothering you?"

Damian shook his head.

Bruce could tell he was lying.

"Well, either way, I was thinking about going to get dinner? We could get some fast food, I won't tell Alfred when he arrives from England."

*
During the car drive Damian remained silent. He didn't felt like talking, or even to tell Drake what he thought about his horrible tastes in music.

When they arrived to the Batburger, Drake offered himself to get the food, leaving father and son alone for some minutes.

"Now will you tell me what's been bothering you?"

"Tt. I already told you father, I'm fine."

He spited the last word.

Bruce stayed quiet, Damian would talk when he would want to talk to him.

Damian muttered something after some minutes. Making Bruce to look at him.

"What?"

"Did you...did you knew what you wanted to do when you grew up?"

It took Bruce a bit to get what Damian was talking about.

"It's just...I never thought that I would be able to, you know, actually decide what I want to do."

"Damian you never thought I would obligate you to do something you don't want to, did you?"

"No! I-It's just that, even when iI have been out of the league for so long, it's still hard you know? To get used to the fact that I can chose something else from being the head of the demon, and...for some years, a part of me always thought i would go back."

That had changed when his mother killed him, obviously. Not that he would say that.

"And now that I can chose...what if i chose wrong? What if I don't like it?"

Bruce stayed quiet for a moment.

"You know, at your age I didn't knew what I wanted to do either." Bruce took a breath. "You know the fact that i started mes school and then dropped it? Well after it I didn't knew what to do either, Wayne Enterprises never crossed my mind for some years."

"Really?" Damian had said.

"Of course, and, no matter what you want to do, we will be happy, as long as it is something you like, I will be proud."

"Even if...that doesn't include Batman?"

"Even if that doesn't include Batman."

Drake didn't understood why father and son were smiling when he arrived with the food.

*
A couple of years had passed.

Damian had asked his father if he could quit Robin a couple of months after, when his siblings had asked if he would take a new identity, Damian had said no. He wouldn't, maybe just in very special cases were things were wrong and needed him.

But he decided that vigintalism wasn't something he wanted to do for the rest of his life.

Grayson had hugged him, telling him he was happy for him.

And Damian could see the proud in his father eyes.

After that, Damian had taken a year after ending high school to travel around Europe, he had been volunteering also, but it was mostly to take some time for himself.

And when the time finally came, Damian knew what he wanted to do.

It wasn't very traditional, and his mother and grandfather wouldn't be happy, but at least he was.

He smiled with pride in his eyes when he saw the university he was going to go to.

And he knew that this was what he wanted to do for the rest of his life.