Chapter 14

Finally Friday night arrived.

Lexa was sitting in the locker room and it was almost time for the game. Her gear was all on except for her helmet that was waiting on the bench beside her. She had her hair draped over one shoulder and her signature war paint was already applied. Lexa could hear the roar of the crowd and the stomping of thousands of feet above her. Bands were battling against each other. But she had her phone in her hand, and was texting Clarke.

A small smile formed on her face when she saw Clarke's text breaking through her nerves.

Good Luck Babe

The butterflies erupted in her stomach at the thought of the game that she had to play in just a few minutes.

I'm nervous

The confession surprised her and she wasn't sure why she was suddenly so nervous as usually she was hyped up before the game. Part of it was Clarke coming to the game, but the other part she wasn't so sure about. Her phone vibrated in her hand and interrupted her thoughts.

Don't be, you'll do great

The text was appreciated, but did little to calm her nerves. She looked at the clock and realized she was out of time. Before she put her phone away, Lexa sent one last text to Clarke.

Where are you?

She waited an extra minute to see if Clarke would reply and when she didn't, Lexa put her phone in her locker, pulled her hair back and grabbed her helmet. She took one last deep breath and made her way out to join her team.

From the tunnel, Lexa could see the bright lights surrounding the stadium and lighting up the field. It was filtering into the tunnel and shining on her teammates and she could see the same look on their faces that she was wearing. Determination and anticipation. She nodded to them and headed to the front to lead her team out and hopefully to their first win of the season.

She was ready for war.

The rush she felt every time she ran out onto the field was a feeling that couldn't be compared. It was the excitement, fear, and the feeling of coming home hit her as soon as her feet touched the turf. Ever since she started playing, this was the place she was meant to be, this was the place she felt the most comfortable and the most herself. It was a feeling she couldn't completely describe no matter how many times she was asked.

Lexa stopped with her team behind when she saw the other team already on their side and staring daggers at them. Lexa smirked because their first game was against her arch nemesis Ontari and the Ice Nation squad. Ever since their freshman year when Lexa beat them in the championship game, the rivalry started and never stopped. It got worse each year and Lexa knew this year would be worse. She just had a feeling. Ontari was vindictive and would do everything in her power to get the best of her.

Lexa wouldn't let that happen.

The feeling was mutual and Lexa hated Ontari just as much as she hated her. Ontari was captain of her team as well, but the way she ran her team was cold and ruthless. Lexa never understood it and refused to be anything like her. She liked to think she wasn't and hoped her team agreed.

The feeling of not being the best rushed through her and she put a hand on her chest over her captain's badge and remembered that she was captain for a reason and she would lead her team to victory and make the fans and her friends happy.

Lexa tore her eyes away from the glares and was almost overwhelmed by the packed stadium that was almost spilling over. It was a lot of pressure as they all expected her to bring home the win. Her eyes scanned the crowd for Clarke needing to know she was there. She searched for her while jogging out to the home side of the field. She finally spotted her right behind her bench in the front row and everything fell into place as soon as their eyes locked.