Chapter 29

The day had arrived.

The one, Lexa had been dreading ever since they got word it was finally happening. She didn't particularly want to go, but knew she needed to in order to support Clarke. Nothing would stop her from being beside her the entire time.

All that mattered to her was justice being served and him being locked up forever.

Realistically Lexa knew they had a good chance to win, but there was still a sliver of doubt that kept creeping in that made her have some doubts. He was banking on an insanity plea. So it made her nervous.

No matter the outcome, Lexa knew she would protect Clarke with her life if she had to. Not that she would ever let it come to that again.

"Babe, you okay?" Clarke came up behind and ran a hand over her shoulder in a soothing gesture.

Lexa nodded, not wanting to worry her, "Yeah, I'm okay."

Don't lie to me, Lex," Clarke moved to stand in front of her and blocked the mirror she's been using to knot her tie.

She sighed, knowing she wasn't going to get out of this without being honest and upfront with Clarke, "I'm worried."

Clarke furrowed her brows and stepped back, "Worried about today?"

"Yes," Lexa sighed and ran a hand through her hair, "You've made tremendous progress, love and I would hate to see that be taken away. I know that when we step into the courtroom and you have to see..." She huffed in frustration, ground her teeth and looked away.

"When I see him, you mean," Clarke finished for her, "baby, look at me." Lexa did and found herself staring into blue eyes again, "I can do it because I'll have you by my side, so I'll be okay. Not to mention, Raven, Octavia, Anya, Lincoln, and my mom will all be there too. I won't lie and say seeing him will be easy because it won't, but I know I can do it."

"How do you know?"

"Because I have you, baby. We're stronger together and with you, I know I can get through anything, even this," Clarke took her hand and squeezed it tightly, "I won't lie, I'm scared, but it helps knowing I'm not doing this alone."

Lexa brought Clarke's hand to her lips, "You will never be alone, I promise you that, love."

"I know," Clarke smiled and caressed her cheek, "Do I wish we didn't have to do this?" Lexa met her eyes, "Yes," Lexa wanted to say something, but knew Clarke wasn't finished, "but he deserves to pay for what he did and spend the rest of his life in prison. My testimony is the one thing that will ensure that happens."

She huffed, "He deserves the death penalty for what he did to you," Lexa wrapped her arms around Clarke's waist and held her close.

"He'll get what he deserves," Clarke said firmly,

"He has too," Lexa wasn't sure what she would do if that didn't happen. But she promised, "He will, I'll make sure of it," she would do whatever it took for Clarke to feel absolutely safe again.

It had been a month and a half since they came back from Alaska and each and every day, Clarke was doing better. It warmed her heart to see.
She still couldn't help but fear this trial would send her back into a tailspin.

Lexa just wanted Clarke to be happy.

"I love you," Clarke whispered and kissed her softly, her hand wrapping around her tie.

"I love you too, Clarke," She whimpered when Clarke nibbled on her bottom lip before she pulled back with a twinkle in her eye, "Have I told you that you look beautiful yet?"