Chapter 18

"...Clarke Griffin!" the announcer called out. Her heart had been beating a mile a minute and she had actually been wringing Lexa's hand, but her mouth dropped open and joy spread through her when it was her name called.

Cheers went up across the beach and she was jumping for joy before she could stop herself. She was going to the second heat! She was going into the second heat and she was one step closer to her dream coming true. She pushed hair out of her eyes. With the sound of the crowd's excitement roaring in her ears she stepped in and took Lexa's grinning face in her hands and kissed her, "can you believe I won!" she asked Lexa, she asked all her friends. They were nodding in excitement.

Lexa hugged her hard, "of course I can, babe! You were amazing out there! I'm so proud of-" her arms loosened just a little and Clarke turned to see what had caught her girlfriend's attention.

Monroe approached her and her friends with a smile on her face, "That was a hell of ride, Griffin. You deserved the win," Monroe shook her hand.

"Thanks, yours as well, either one of us could have won though," Clarke took her offered hand and pulled her into a hug.

"Do me a favor?" Monroe asked as she pulled back.

Clarke looked at her in surprise. "What's that?" She linked hands with Lexa who stood next to her and squeezed her hand.

"When you get to the final, kick Nia's ass because you're the only who can," Monroe's voice had dropped lower when she looked back and saw Luna, Niylah and Fox walking toward them with smiles on their faces.

Clarke nodded just a little, and glanced past them to where Nia was smoking in the background near the tent, "if I get there," she looked at Monroe again, "I can promise you I'll do that. She deserves to be knocked off her high horse."

The others had arrived, "good job, Griffin." Fox raised her arm and gave Clarke a high five.

Niylah just stood there with a suggestive smile on her face and her arms folded, "you looked great out there."

Luna nodded politely, but didn't say anything.

Clarke felt a arm come around her waist and pull her close possessively. she turned away from the others to look at Lexa whose jaw was clenched. "My girl did do fantastic," Lexa kissed her cheek.

"Okay, we'll catch you later and good luck in the next heat," Monroe nodded and left with her three friends to catch up with some of the other surfers.

Their friends had gone back up the beach and left Clarke and Lexa alone.

Clarke watched them leave and turned back to Lexa, who looked beautiful with the sun beating down on her. She didn't know what to think about what just happened because it was odd. She wasn't particularly close to any of them and the fact that Nia was watching them all interact made her suspicious. Clarke glanced to where Nia had been standing and she was no longer in sight.

"Well that was interesting," Lexa smiled and kissed her cheek again, "apparently nobody likes the Ice Queen," Lexa glared over at her, " I just met her and I hate her so I can't imagine how much worse it is for them."

"Yeah, she thinks she's better than everyone else and wants them all to treat her like royalty," Clarke pulled Lexa with her back toward where her friends were set up, "how she got a sponsor with an attitude like that is beyond me."

"I don't know much about surfing, babe, but even though she plays dirty, she is good," Lexa said sheepishly and Clarke gave her a look.

"Excuse me?" Clarke pretended to be hurt and slapped Lexa's bare stomach feeling the hard ridge of her abs. That really wasn't fair.