Chapter 23

Lexa stormed out as soon as they finished questioning Murphy. He was fucking useless and couldn't help them even if he wanted to. He was paid in cash that he was handed by someone at night wearing a hoodie and baseball cap. All he could say for sure was that it was a dude, but that's it. He wasn't even sure that was the guy who was behind it all. She was so pissed, Lexa bulldozed past her friends who were waiting for her and slammed open the door, and completely ignored them calling after her.

"Lex, what happened?"

"You okay?"

"What did they say?"

"Did they find Clarke?"

"Lexa!"

Her feet slapped against the concrete and when saw the sign for the police station, Lexa couldn't stand the sight. They were supposed to serve and protect, but they couldn't even do their damn job and find Clarke. Lexa pulled back and punched the wooden sign cracking it, she reared back to hit again, but someone caught her arm and she whipped around.

"Let me go," Lexa snapped, but Lincoln only held on tighter as the rest of her friends caught up to her, "Fuck off," She continued trying to wrench herself free, but Raven's voice stopped her cold.

"Knock it off, Lexa. Clarke wouldn't want you to hurt yourself further. You know she would hate it," Raven placed a hand on her shoulder, but she shrugged it off, "Please, don't do this, please."

Lexa sagged against Lincoln, her anger melting away replaced by despair because they still hadn't found Clarke. She looked down at her hand that had started to throb and winced in pain. She didn't think anything was broken, but she knew she at least bruised it for sure. Luckily the sign was wooden and not metal. She glared at it like it was its fault.

"Look at your hand," Octavia exclaimed and took it between hers. It was a bloody mess, "We need to get that checked out, now." Her tone left no room for argument, but Lexa started to speak before Anya held up a hand.

"Don't even think about refusing, Lex. Raven's right, Clarke wouldn't want this and when we find her, she will be pissed. Please, let's go. You need to get it checked. For Clarke," Anya pleaded and gestured towards the car.

There was a hollow feeling in her chest that overshadowed everything else that she barely heard what any of them were saying. Their words seemed far away, even though she knew they were right beside her. She wanted to cry out that it wasn't when they found Clarke, it was if they did.

She was rapidly losing hope with every hour that passed.

Lexa shook her head vehemently, wanting to feel the pain, she deserved it for not watching after her girlfriend. She hated herself for not being there, but what her friends were saying rang true in her head. Lexa did know Clarke would be pissed, and she wanted to be able to be there and take care of Clarke if they found her. However, it was unfair of them to constantly throw that in her face. She already knew, but they continued to do it. She was getting sick of it.

Lincoln stepped forward into her line of vision and bent down to her eye level, "Please, Lex."

Without saying a word, Lexa turned around and headed towards the car with everyone scrambling after her. She climbed in the passenger seat and crossed her arms, but hissed when she clenched her hand without thinking about it. It felt like everyone was looking at her, but she didn't say a word the entire ride to the hospital.

All she could think about was Clarke.

The ER was decently busy and Lexa resigned herself to having a long wait. She shuffled towards check in and within a few minutes, she was all set. After just being here, Lexa didn't need to fill out any paperwork which was both a blessing and a curse.