TWENTY-TWO

ROWAN POV

I can't believe Klaus sometimes, I can't believe I ever thought there was something about him that would change, I thought he somewhat cared about me, but no, I was a pawn in his game. I need a drink, I make my way to the Grill in hopes there's someone there I can talk to and get my mind off all this.

STEFAN POV

For the first time in awhile, I'm writing in my journal, about Elena's transition, the cure, regular journal things. My phone buzzes next to me and it's a text from Klaus, 'We have a problem' the text read. It was followed after by another text of him saying to get to his house, confused about it I do as he says, since 'we're in this together' I get to his house and first thing I see is a decapitated hybrid. I call Klaus, "See you've seen our problem" he says, "How did Connor escape?" I ask looking at the body.

"I blame incompetence. But pointing fingers isn't gonna help. You're gonna help me" he replies, I scoff "He could be anywhere by now" I say, "Think Stefan. He took the hybrids head, which means he wants werewolf toxin" Klaus tells me, my brain starts to catch on, "Which means he plans to stay in Mystic Falls to kill vampires" I say, "Pity as I'm half way across the world digging up a dead hunter, you'll have no access to my blood and therefore the antidote" he adds, he's right though, if any of us get that werewolf toxin used on us, we're screwed.

"Nevertheless, his tattoo is our only map to the cure so your task is simple, find him, catch him, and above all, keep him alive. He's no good to us dead" Klaus says, "Damon's been looking for him. If they cross paths-" I start but Klaus cuts me off, "Keep Damon in check, maybe trick Rowan into keeping him busy, aren't they a duo" Klaus says, "You heard Rowan. She wants nothing to do with you or this anymore, she's done" I say, "Fine, but Damon-" he starts but this time I cut him off.

"I'd be easier if I could tell him the truth" I say, Klaus chuckles, "You trust Damon with the cure? I imagine he prefers Elena the way she is" Klaus says clearly trying to start something. I chuckle, "Nice try Klaus, but I trust Damon a lot more than I trust you" I say to him, "And I trust no one, which is why my sister is lying daggered in a box" he says, "What about Rowan? She knows about this" I say, Klaus is hesitant to answer, "You want to compel her to forget about the cure? Fine, but in the long run this could just turn against you. Besides the more who know about the cure, the more who will go after it" Klaus says

I stay silent as Klaus goes on, "Nations have gone to war over less. Mark my words: Tell anyone else and I'll throw the Hunter's Sword in the Mediterranean and we can end this quest right now. Understood?" he says, "Yeah" I bluntly respond, "Good. Keep Rowan in check too" he says before ending the call. I sigh and go looking for Rowan just to make sure she won't tell anyone, otherwise we may never cure Elena, or anyone else who wants it.

ROWAN POV

I got to the Grill but it was closed, lights were on though, I peared through the window and saw Matt setting all the chairs down, on his own. I opened the door, "We're not open" he says not even looking at me. "It's just me, Rowan. Maybe you need some help?" I say hoping he'll let me, as I need something to distract me. He turns around and nods, "Sure yeah. Just help put the chairs down" he says, I nod going to a table. "Isn't Jeremy suppose to be working?" I ask with confusion.

"Yeah but he's half an hour late, I have no idea where he is" Matt says frustrated, "Slept in?" I say, "I don't know Ro" Matt says, "Why are you here so early anyway?" he asks changing the subject, "I got a lot on my mind" I say, "Like what?" he asks, "Um" I say going to think of something but the doors open to reveal the April girl. The one Elena compelled to forget everything that happened at the funeral, Rebekah's friend.

"Uh Matt" she says, Matt looks up and noticed her, "Hey April, we don't open till 11. Ro's just helping me since Jeremy isn't here" Matt says looking over at me. "Oh sorry, I wasn't trying to scare you or stalk you, or whatever. I just came to ask if you or Rowan now she's here have seen Rebekah" April says awkwardly looking at us. I look away knowing exactly where she is and what happened, but I can't exactly tell her that. "Why would I have seen Rebekah?" Matt says with a slight annoyed tone.