Chapter 2

The forest was unusually quiet. No birds, no trees making sounds, nothing. Just the sound of their feet stepping on the grass.

Eleanor was definetly scared because after 5 minutes she asked why is it so quiet.

'' Rue where did you put your damn equipment? '' Miles asked in a low voice
'' Just... here '' said Rue pointing to a bow and some arrows placed behind a tree.

She took her arrow and touched it's limbs and admired it.She had a hunting bow though she was afraid to hunt so she would just practice everyday on trees.

She had 11 arrows with steel arrowheads. She had an extra arrow with no arrowhead so she put the one from Miles. Her quiver wasn't so big but big enough for 12 arrows to fit.

Rue decided her bow was good.

It had a fiber string and it was a 40 lbs one. Which could kill a dear but she didn't want that. A normal arrow rest and a wooden handle.

'' I think you love that bow more than you love me'' said Miles laughing.
'' Of course I do '' responded Rue with a smile.

Eleanor was not feeling well and who could blame her?

She didn't know what they were doing there and she had no idea why Rue was so in love with her bow and being in love with a bow is really weird.

After a few moments Rue nocked an arrow, pulled the string and aimed at a tree.

She loosed the arrow and heard Eleanor's gasp.

It hit the branch Rue aimed so she was proud about that. But Eleanor looked scared and was already shaking while Miles was shaking his head and smiling.

'' Nice shot.. I guess '' said Eleanor
'' Yeah really nice '' said a deep voice.
'' Uh you got to be kidding me '' Miles whispered.

Brandon showed up from behind a tree, waving at Rue.

He had that smug face on and he was jumping towards them.

'' You leave or I swear I'm gonna shoot an arrow at you '' Rue said aiming him with the bow.
'' Relax. I just wanted to say hi ''

'' And you couldn't wait until tomorrow?''
'' No, not really. Also that shot was great. How could I miss that? '' Brandon said with a smirk.

After that he stepped closer and closer until Rue lowered her bow and put the arrow back in the quiver.

'' Can I touch the bow? '' asked Brandon excited.
'' How can you even ask me that? ''
'' Sorry... may I touch the bow? ''

Rue rolled her eyes and put the quiver in her back.

'' Oh magic buddy is here.''
'' Yeah'' responded Miles.

Eleanor was now shaking but probably it was just because it was getting cold.

'' Miles, Eleanor I am going home and you should too. It's really cold right now. '' said Rue in a low voice.
'' See you tomorror '' mouthed Eleanor before leaving

Miles pulled Rue into a hug and whispered '' Be careful '' to her ear.

Rue nodded and watched her friends dissapear through the woods. Brandon looked at Rue and smiled. Like actually smiled, not a smirk, not some weird grin. He smiled.

'' Uh hell no '' said Rue and walked away.

To her surprise Brandon didn't follow her so she reached home safe and Brandon free.

Her mom was cooking dinner but she wasn't really hungry so she changed her clothes and checked her phone.

Over 10 messages from Miles that were saying '' RESPOND'' so she called him.

'' Rue, thank GOD'' said Miles on the other end of the phone.
'' What happened ''
'' I... '' the boy hesitated.
'' Miles... ''
'' Okay, I learned a new magic trick ! ''

Rue sighed in relief.

'' That was so the emergency?''
'' Yep. I'll show you tomorrow, bye. '' said Miles and hung up.

Rue jumped into her bed and covered her face with a pillow. Brandon definetly wanted something from her. And Eleanor was a little bit too quiet. After a few moments of overthinking Rue fell asleep.

She woke up hungry and dizzy and... late for school again. That day was actually normal. Brandon stopped talking to her and everything was... "normal" .

The next 2 days were normal and boring. Miles's new trick was cool and he was doing it every single day. He could set a piece of paper on fire and after that a coin would appear.

As for Eleanor... she started talking with Rue and Miles and she definetly hated Brandon.

Unlike Rue, she was hating him in silence.

It was Friday now and everyone was talking really loud about how cool the camp is going to be.

It was called '' Camp Redwood '' which is a pretty weird name for a camp and everyone expected a legend but the couch assured them that the name was just randomly chosen.

'' Rue take this '' whispered Miles while placing a chocolate bar into her hand.
'' Miles what is this '' asked the girl in a low voice because the couch was repeating the rules for the 100th time.
'' Touch it. What does it feel like? ''

'' Like a chocolate bar ''

'' Great. Now open it. ''
Rue quitetly opened it. There was no chocolate bar.

It was.. empty.

'' Miles this is dark magic you're practicing '' said Rue simling.
'' I'm the master of magic and illusions now. '' said Miles taking the packaging.

Rue smiled and started thinking about camp.

'' I bet there is a big lake where I can swim '' she thought.

'' I heard there are 4 other classes from different schools, that should be fun'' .

'' Rue stop staring at the window '' whispered Miles.

The girl binked and nodded. Suddenly a ball of paper hit her head. She looked at her feet and raised it. She unfolded it and read the text.

'' Don't be mad but Miles and I are going somewhere today. Wanna come? - Brandon '' .

Rue blinked several times and punched Miles in his shoulder.
'' What is wrong with you? '' he asked, concerned.

She gestured at the paper and as soon as he saw it he said:

'' Uh, that... okey. Its nothing but he wasn't supposed to tell you. ''
'' Wasn't supposed to... where you going to do this behind my back? ''
'' No, of course not. I was supposed to tell you, not him '' he responded winking.

Rue turned to Brandon who was playing with his hair. She caught his atention and whispered :

'' Are you out of your mind? ''
'' What? Did I spell something wrong? '' he asked making some weird puppy eyes.
'' Oh my god. What is this? '' she pointed to the paper.

'' A piece of paper '' he responded smiling.

Rue rolled her eyes and said a little more angry :

'' What do you want to do? ''
'' You'll see. ''

'' No no no no. Tell me. ''
'' I'm making new friends. '' he said with a smirk.
'' What. Are. You. Going. To do? ''
'' You'll see. Now shut up, I'm trying to pay attention''

Rue turned back to her seat and sighed.