Chapter 9

The next day, the archery contests were announced and Rue thought that this day would probably even the beat the day before. But she didn't really think that.

" What do you mean you don't want to do it? Comeee onn!! " Rue was hitting Miles with her pillow. He groaned " You are going to win anyways! I don't see what I am winnig from thi! "

Rue looked at him " Fun ".

Kaitlyn was already at breakfast chewing on a piece of bread while Harvey was devouring two eggs.

Rue got some orange juice and eggs and Miles got the same thing. Miles's hair was messy today and he couldn't stop playing with its curls. But something was off. Harvey was eating too fast. Brandon wasn't wearing his usual rich kid clothes. He was wearing some green short and a blue t-shirt.

And Eleanor was talking a lot with Harvey. Which never actually happened.

" Finished " Harvey said, showing his friends his clean tray. Then he winked at Eleanor. She just... winked back. And then blushed.

" Since when do you know how to wink? " Brandon said raising his sight from his food.

" Just a new thing I just learned "

" Let me rephrase. Since when do you wink at Harvey? "
" Oh, he is the only one I know from my cabin. "

Brandon raised his brows at Rue and put on a confused face. She raised her shoulders and continued eating.

Dean came by their table and whispered something to Brandon and then took off jumping.

Brandon looked at Rue and said, " Tonight. You know what. "

Rue sighed " Do we really have to go? " Eleanor just nodded in agreement. Kaitlyn rolled her eyes " You are coming because I said so. "

Harvey looked interested " What are you guys talking about? "

" A party tonight " Brandon responed.

" Oh yeah, the one i'm stealing the drink for " said Harvey with a satisfied look on his face.

Kaitlyn smiled, took Rue by her wrist and dragged her out of the cafetaria. " What happened? " she asked.

Kaitlyn gave her a meaningful look " Tonight it's going to be fun. I promise ! "

Rue looked down and then back up " Fine ".

Tony's voice could be heard from some place that nobody knew " Archery contest by the lake. 5 minutes kiddos. ".

Rue was excited. She will win because archery was her favourite thing. Maybe during the game she will shoot Brandon too. Or Harvey. She smiled at that thought.

The kids formed three lines in front of three targets with bows laying on the grass.

" Guess I am right here " a familiar voice. Harvey. Right behind Rue.

" Ugh you got to be kidding me. Can't you just... " she made hand gestures " leave me alone? "

" I am afraid you are not that important. I am good at archery too and Eleanor dared me to play against you. How did she phrase it? Oh yes ' I want to see her beating your ass' "

Rue rolled her eyes and waited for her turn. Everyone was taking terrible shots. Freya, her roommate, shot her arrow in the lake. Harvey let out an arrogant scoff and waited.

It was Rue's turn. She casually picked up the bow and nocked an arrow. She let go of the cheap string and the arrow went smoothly through the air, right in the X on the middle of the target.