Chapter 14

The next day the police wanted to go through the crime scene again.

That can't be good Rue thought.

After the other day she couldn't tell what was worse. The new evidence they might find, or vat Brandon was a human lighting volcano. Miles was still asleep when she woke up and so was Kaitlyn, but she didn't wake them just yet. She realised she was actually the only one awake. Rue wanted to inhale and process the few seconds of silence.

Trees. Wind. Sun. All like a beautiful chorus. But she was the conductor of it, she was deciding if it was a happy or a sad note. Trees. Nostalgia mixed with joy. Grass. Feeling fresh, new. Wind, like a gentle caress.
What is going to happen to them? It did feel like they betrayed the nature if they got caught. Rue has never been implicated in anything bad. One time she snuck out, but that was it. And now... now she was a part of a murder. And other weird things she wasn't entirely sure were real.

Brandon has definetly done something illegal before she thought. But she wasn't scared, not sure if she must be. Rue, he killed someone one of the voices said but I am not afraid of him. Is it that bad? she argued.

No, he didn't scare her. He was her friend. And she is going to stay with him till the very end. What was indeed suspicious, was that Harvey and Kaitlyn don't even know him that well, and still decided to help him. But I guess, when it comes to murder, it doesn't really matter anymore.

Just a second later, Miles started gasping and murmuring words, his hands clenching to his blankets.

'' Miles! '' she rushed towards him and shook him by his shoulders. '' Miles, wake up! '' Everyone was looking at him now, not fully awake. Miles opened his eyes and a look of relief appeared on his face. He hugged his bestfriend, so tightly, she couldn't breath. And then, he whispered '' Thank you. '' . Rue cupped his cheeks just like a grandmother, happy to see her grandson.
Thomas, one of their cabin mates, rubbed his eyes and said with a sleepy voice '' Damn, Atwood. What did you dream about? '' . Miles wiped away his sweat and said, through quick breathes '' Nothing- nothing- I can't remember '' .

Thomas was a tall guy, his skin dark, darker than Miles's . His eyes were brown, sweet but alarming. He had a birthmark on his right arm, shaped like a moon. It was beautiful. He was always wearing his hair go wild. His hair half dark blue and half black. Thomas was always bragging about dying his hair.
Thomas bared his teeth at him and then started laughing '' I'm just messing with you, but jeez let me sleep '' . Miles chuckled '' Noted '' .

Rue's friend made his way to the bathroom and got changed into black shorts, a white t-shirt and on top of it a short-sleeved beige jacket. His face was all happy and positive. As soon as he saw Rue he shook his head, definetly not wanting to talk about it. Freya went to change. Her bright brown hair was not braided, and it looked nice. She was wearing an over-sized pink shirt and short purple pants. Jasper and the other guys, Thomas Hill, Will Keith and John Lewis, were wearing pretty much the same thing. Except for Jasper who was wearing short jeans and a shirt with prints, black and white, all of the guys wearing green or red shorts and different colours undershirts.

Kaitlyn started laughing '' Why do all guys dress the same? '' Will propped his hand on the bed '' It's boiling hot outside! What do you want me to wear? '' he started checking her and let out a satisfied hum. She ground her teeth '' Men are disgusting '' and all of them started laughing.
They all went outside , Harvey and Brandon already there. Brandon sarcastically bowed his head '' You decided to honour us with your presence. How generous. '' Miles looked down but the other boy noticed '' Hey magic buddy, why are you looking down? A girl turned you down? ''
'' You're in a good mood '' Kaitlyn scoffed. He made a gesture with his finger in agreement '' Indeed I am '' , and then he forgot about Miles.
'' Where's Eleanor? '' Rue asked.
'' She was changing, and well... yeah '' Harvey responed.

Rue smiled and they started walking towards the cafetaria. All those powers and murders really exhausted them. Even though they were awake, it didn't feel like they were. Especially after the previous incident.
They all got eggs and bacon and waited for Eleanor.
'' Harvey, you said she was changing '' Rue said iritated.
'' What- I- I don't stalk girls, leave me alone guys ''

Brandon put his shoulder on the table, and his face in his palms, trying to make himself wake up. He looked up and said '' You should really pay more atention to- '' he stopped, his mouth remained open. Brandon was looking straight forward, towards the entry.
They all turned their heads. Gina. Her dark hair and silver strands where combed in a left path, all of it a mix of dark chocolate brown and silver. She was wearing waist crop beige pants with a black belt, and a black crop. And then, a shiny necklace, with a silver raven.
Gina walked proudly, each step was assured and steady, graceful. She waved her hair and ended in front of their table.
'

' Can I sit here? '' she asked

Brandon closed his mouth and gestured towards a seat next to him. But she threw him a disgusted look and sat next to Kaitlyn. Rue raised a brow at Brandon and he just mouthed ' she's hot ' and started staring at Gina, who was sitting next to Kaitlyn. Rue was next to Kaitlyn, Brandon, Harvey and Miles on the opposite side. No more room for Eleanor...

'' Sorry to bother your clear... comfort zone '' Kaitlyn started gesturing to where Gina was sitting '' but our friend, Eleanor, is sitting there. ''
'' Oh really? 'Cause I don't see her '' everyone glanced at her '' Relax, she told me she is not coming. ''
Harvey ruffled his hair and asked '' Since when do you know Eleanor? '' Gina smiled broadly '' You know, you should really pay attention to girls '' Brandon was about to laugh at Harvey but he shut his mouth, letting the girl continue '' You are not her only friend ''

Miles, always the peacemaker, stuck out his hand '' I'm Miles '' Gina shook his head smiling '' Gina '' , and then, they all introduced eachother. Rue though her long, curly, brown hair looked good, but compared to Gina's , her hair looked like a broom, she thought.
They finished eating and Gina left, finally, so they decided to go in the woods again. Another test, maybe. Eleanor was in front of the cafetaria, sitting on a rock. '' Eleanor, why didn't you come at breakfast?'' Rue asked. The girl shrugged '' I wasn't really hungry '' .

They didn't mention Gina. and neither did she, so they stroded towards the trees that were waiting for them.
They went deeper this time, till they found another clear spot. No logs or rocks this time. Just trees. And the tension and fear between them.

Miles was playing with a few rocks, levitating them around his fingers, while Eleanor was looking at him, an impressed look on her face. Harvey put his hand to his temples and closed his eyes.
'' Harvey, mate, are you good? '' asked Brandon.
'' I feel something '' was all he said. All of them were confused, gesturing at eachother. Rue stepped forward '' What do you mean? '' . The boy kept his eyes shut and said '' Remember when I told you, I had a bad feeling about this camp? That was true, right? I just felt it. Like-like a future prediction or something '' Kaitlyn laughed '' Come on, even for us, that sounds a little bit.. i don't know ''
'' Well, I was right. I felt death and sadness and-and terror. '' Brandon brushed the back of his head '' Do you feel that now, too?''
Harvey opened his eyes '' No. Actually... it feels good... but not for us. ''
Miles widened his eyes '' How could it not be good for us ''

Harvey turned his look towards Miles '' Because I have a feeling that they just found the new evidence ''