Chapter 10

" Monty! "

Silence

" Monty! Damn it it's not funny! " Rue shouted while trembling in the water.

" Guys- " Brandon.

Rue swam to him so she could see him better. The boy was holding something in his arms. Someone.

" Brandon what happened? " she asked him.

He smiled and the panicked " I didn't... I don't... he was... " He was holding Monty.

" What the hell did you... "

Eleanor came and as soon she saw Monty she started crying. Harvey went up to her and put her back in the boat. Rue was petrified only moving her arms and legs so she wouldn't sink.

" Put him in the boat! " she shouted
" But ... "
" Put. him. in the boat "

Miles helped Brandon and Rue started pressing Monty's chest. Nothing. She pressed harder and harder and tried to resuscitate him. Pressing again. And again.

Nothing.

" Come on! " she yelled through tears while punching his chest " Breath damn it! ".

Nothing.

Rue stopped. Everything stopped. The magic was gone. Everyone was sober. Everyhing clearer than ever. The moon wasn't dizzy anymore. Everything was... dead.

The girl turned to the others, tears rolling down her cheeks, and shook her head. Eleanor vomited immediately. Miles shook his head in denial, pushing Rue out of the way and started pressing on Monty's chest too.

Nothing.

Brandon was just standing there. Shaking hid head. Not even crying. Just looking at the lifeless body of his friend.

They paddled to the shore in silence and put Monty on the ground. They weren't on camp anymore. They were on the opposite shore. Where there was only forest.

Just after they placed their friend onto the ground they started seeing everything. He wasn't coming back.

The sun startes to rise and now they could all see Monty. His skin was wet, pale. His eyes were closed, his hair was full of mud. And his lips were violet. His chest wasn't rising. He wasn't going to open his eyes and say it was all a stupid joke.

Just him. There. Dead.

Eleanor was in Harvey's arms, the boy trying to comfort her. Miles was standing behind a tree, his hands in his hair, mumbling nonsense.

Brandon was just standing next to the body, lookibg at it.

Rue got up from her knees and pushed Brandon.

" You. Dumb. Ignorant... " she started punching him and scratching his face. Brandon was just looking at her.

" HOW COULD YOU! " Punching harder " He was your friend DAMN IT ! " scratching his chest.

Rue was screaming and hitting her friend. The punches began to strike slower. The screaming was becoming a whisper. And then tears. The punching stopped and she Brandon put his arms around her.

She was still hitting his shoulder, crying in his chest. His face showed no emotion.

Rue got up and went to Miles who hugged her right away. They stood there, crying on eachothers shoulders. Brandon still showing no emotion.

Eleanor stopped throwing up, Harvey wasn't crying. He was just shaking and panicking and was pulling his hair out.

" We... " Brandon straightened his voice " We need to get rid of the body. It will... get us caught. "