Chapter 11

Red. Blue. Light.

The police cars were arriving, while Monty's body was wrapped in a black bag, being carried away.

Lucas was punching the ground, his fists now a mix of mud and blood. Dean was just crying, with his arms wrapped around his knees.

Three police cars. Six policemen. One murder.

Kane was sitting on a log, his hands in his hair, Tony was drinking water, trying to convince himself this was all a dream.  As they all did.

Rue was watching everything, Harvey petrified right next to her.

Brandon was nowhere to be found and they last saw Eleanor in the cafeteria, crying. Kaitlyn's eyes were red and she was desperately trying to wipe away her sweat.

" Where. Is. Brandon " Harvey swallowed. Rue looked around and said " No idea "

Eleanor came, wearing a blue skirt with a white shirt tucked in.

Harvey was wearing grey pants and a black t-shirt, with a black cap on his head. His crow-black hair was messy and his eyes were hopeless. Lifeless.

Rue saw a pair of brown eyes watching her and she immediately knew who it was. The girl walked towards that spot and further into the forest, until she saw Brandon leaning against a tree, his ankle on his knee.

" Rue! " he widened his eyes and stood up " Something... something is wrong "

" Yeah something is wrong. You killed somebody. And it's like you don't even care "

Brandon tightened his hands in a fist " I didn't. Well, until now - " Rue snapped " YOU didn't care? That you murdered your friend. "

He pointed at her and then lowered his arm, sighing " I don't know. I just... don't feel anything. He is dead. Okay? I can't change that "

She pushed him " How. Dare. You. " another push " You. " push " Psycho " then she grabbed him by his shirt and pointed her finger at him " I am protecting you. For now. But, I will make you pay for it. "

Rue turned and left, Brandon's voice fading behind her " Something's wrong- " was all she heard

Eleanor was chewing on a piece of bread while Harvey was looking at the sky. Rue looked too. Just pure blue  only one little cloud on it, covering a piece of the purity.

The cloud had the shape of... of a knife. Red little clouds drippling from the top.

A tear rolled down Harvey's cheek and then his green eyes became a dark forest.

Rue shook her head and so did the boy. They looked at eachother and then again at the sky. Nothing.

Dean came up to them " Hey " he wiped a tear from the cornes of his eye " We are goinf to do a memorial. If you guys want to come "

Brandon came. " Of course we do " He had a sad look on his face and only Rue could realise it was all a mask.

Dean lead them through the woods, to the place where the party was. One of Monty's shirts was there, in the middle of the ground.

Rufus was holding his head low, same as Lucas. Connor was mumbling something and Brandon joined the circle and bowed his head to the shirt.

They all did the same and stayed jn that circle for several minutes without saying a thing.

Connor rolled up his sleeves and said " He was a great friend. And he definitely knew how to party " they all laughed. " We are all going to miss you, mate. I hope you didn't die for being the stupid drunk you are. " Connor smiled and then tears started pouring from his eyes.

After a few minutes of silence, they started to leave. Harvey was the last one to go.

Kaitlyn and Rue went into their cabin, as they were all announced to stay inside and wait for the police to contact us.

Miles was asleep, his pillow wet. Probably frok crying. Or swear.

" Rue. I know you hate Brandon vut we can't say the what happened " Kaitlyn pointed out. Rue let out a sigh " I know. I don't care about Brandon... I just... we would go to jail " Kaitlyn nodded. " But we will make him pay for this"

A tall mab with short blonde hair entered the cabin. He was wearing a black suit with a red tie and a pair of sunglasses. He removed them, revealing his harsh brown eyes.

He cleared his throat and said " I am detective Ganty. I am here to ask you about what happened the night your friend died. "

Freya looked at him " Detective? Wasn't it am accident? "

Ganty shook his head " There were defensive wounds found on his neck. Scratches. Someone hold him underwater. One of you, I assume. "

The kids gasped, the three accomplices faking one, and looked at the detective.

" I will start with... Rue Hunter "

The girl felt a stone being placed on her lungs. Then someone crushing them, so she couldn't breathe. There was no air coming for her lungs. Kaitlyn tapped her shoulder and hugged her. " It's going to be fine " she whispered in ger ear.

Rue got up and followed the detectiv into the cafeteria. A little room behind it where she knew the lunch ladies were gathering to spill the latest gossip.

" Rue... Hunter. Interesting name " he began, pointing to a chair. She sat down and he did the same on a couch in front of her.

" So, Rue. Where were you that night? "
she swallowed. Make it believable  she told herself.

" What night, exactly? " she asked.
" Yesterday "
" I was... umm. I was at a party. "
  The detective lookd surprised

" A party... was Monty there? "
she swallowed again
" Yes... yes he was " tears now rolling down her cheeks.

" What happened at that party "
believable
" We- we drank some alcohol and danced..."
Hw interrupted her " After the party "
" Well, I was... drunk so I don't really remember but... " the detective cut in " I am sure you can make an effort " he smiled.

" Yes. Definitely. So... we... we danced and then- then Monty said he wanted to go for a swim. But we all declined his offer so... so- he went by himself " she stuttered. That's not good.

Ganty nodded " Do you know anyone who would want to hurt Monty? "
believable.

" I can't think of anyone... I mean- eveyone loved him. He was so funny... One time- " the detectiv cut in again " Wel that would be it"

He led her back to the cabin and then called Miles, and Freya, and Kaitlyn and all the others.

After the detective left to the other cabin, Miles came down from his bed and faced Rue and Kaitlyn " What did you guys say? "

Kaitlyn shrugged " That he went alone with the boat. " Miles and Rue nodded and made sure no one was listening.

They didn't see Brandon or Harveybor Eleanor the rest of the day. There was no dinner and Miles, Rue and Kaitlyn were soon in bed trying to sleep.

" Guys " Miles whispered.
" What " the girls responded.
" I think I heard something outside. "

Rue grunted and went to the window. Someone was running. Brandon. But he... he didn't look like Brandon.

His arms were black, darkness flowing from his fingers. She had never seen him run so fast. It was like something was chasing him.

Darkness.

The Darkness was chasing him.