Chapter 19- Rue's POV

Rue was sitting at a table at the cafetaria with Miles and Harvey. Brandon nowhere to be found. Neither was Eleanor. Or Gina and Kaitlyn. Rue remembered when Harvey told her he had a bad feeling about this camp. Did he feel all of this? Did he know this was going to happen? She also remebered the beauty of the woods. The beautiful songs the birds used to sing. The warm colors. Now it was like the weather was turning against them. Rainy, cloudy, sad.
Remebered how she used to watch the stars. When everything was fine. It was like Harvey said. They gave her the promise that everything was going to be fine. But she couldn't see the stars anymore. Not even the moon. Remembered Miles doing magic tricks, calling her because there was a new trick he had learned. Brandon. A memory suddenly flashed through her mind. 

Brandon almost drowning that guy. Harry, his cousin. He had said he burnt down his house. Was that true? Or did Brandon burn down his house?
Harvey. Old Harvey. The arrogant one, who was always dressed up. Now he was wearing blue short and a white long-sleeved shirt. Eleanor was the same. She didn't want to open up. Who knew what was going on inside her head?
Rue woke from her memories and saw the detectives watching her. Ryder and Ganty. They look like they know something.

Her thought were interrupted by Brandon and Eleanor slowly joining them. She tried to not look surprised because the detectives were there but she couldn't help it. She remebered their fight with Eleanor. When she simply... left them.
'' Brandon told me-... everything '' Eleanor started.
'' Need some more space? '' Harvey scowled.
Eleanor looked hurt, but she continued '' I wanted to apologise. I should have been there for you. It was selfish, and I'm sorry ''
Miles smiled and took her hand into his '' We are not mad. Promise ''.
Eleanor looked at Rue, who nodded and said '' Of course we aren't '' . Eleanor seemed to notice the detectives because she asked '' Have you guys seen Kaitlyn? I bet she's hungry! ''
Brandon smiled '' I bet she's with Gina. Have you noticed how upset she was? ''
Rue nodded '' I know ''

The detectives were still watching them. Carefully. They couldn't leave because that would make them look suspicious. Suddenly someone started shouting for help. Rue knew that voice. It was Gunter. She saw him sprinting towards Ryder and Ganty and whispered something to them. They immediatly ran towards the forest.
" That must be bad! " Brandon stated. His friends nodded.

Nobody came back. So they lefted the kids in suspense, alone. Kaitlyn and Gina still weren't there. Eleanor kept apologising for everything and after a few minutes she asked about how 'that' happened, so they told her. Dean, forest, Gina, self-defence. The short version. None of them wanted to detail everything. Rue felt a chill go down her a spine as she remebered her question. 

Did Brandon burn down his house?

'' Brandon '' she said. He looked into her eyes '' Yes, dear '' .
She cocked her head and asked '' Did Harry burn down your house? Or did you do it? '' She immediatly saw the boy turn white. He swalllowed once-twice and blinked a couple times, like he couldn't believe she asked him that.
'' Yeah, but only the garage, so it wasn't... mrgh... that bad '' he stuttered. Rue was sure now. He did do it. So she stared deep into his soul, and said '' You did it, didn't you ''

Brandon looked at his feet and then back at her. And simply nodded. '' But I didn't want to. It was a mistake ''
'' So you tried to kill Harry for doing nothing? ''
'' He wanted to tell my parents '' he responed, no emotion.
'' You could've killed him! ''
'' Your point? ''
'' Brandon- '' Miles started but Rue cut in '' Sorry Miles. Brandon how can you not care about anything? ''