Chapter Nine: The Dark Night of the Soul

"One by one, they will come. One by one, they will fall."

     Joshua's words rang through my head, over and over. He had rigged the door to fire a sedation dart every time it opened. It was only a matter of time. Mike and Zoe wouldn't leave without me, and I'd hope that Erica wouldn't either. So one by one, they would enter through the door and immediately get shot. 

     There was no hope.

     There was no way.

     I realized that I didn't want my friends to be captured because me, and I gained energy from that. I redirected my newfound energy towards escaping my bonds. I was tied up, in a chair, in a pitch-black room. I tried breaking free, but of course, it didn't work.

     I then tried the most cliche of moves. I dislocated my thumb. 

     When I first came in to spy school, I too also thought that dislocating thumbs was just a "spy movie move," but then I saw Erica do it. She had done some weird twisting motion, and her thumb just straight up popped out of it's socket. I tried to mimic it, and to my surprise it worked. I tried feeling around the room, when....

     "Well, done, Ben. I really didn't think you would get out." Too bad I'm watching you on a security camera douche-bag. SPYDER is always one move ahead," said Joshua.

     Two goons tied me up. This time, with incredibly tight handcuffs. I couldn't escape. I had dislocated my freaking thumb to "escape", and they just captured me again within seconds. 

"Have a fun time in prison, Ben. Now you know how it FEELS." 

     This time, I made no attempt to escape. There was no possible way, and even if I did, I had no way of sneaking passed the guards. I just sat there, and wait.

     Thirty minutes passed.

     Then an hour passed.

     And BOOM! The ceiling blew up. Down dropped Zoe and Erica. Zoe freed me and tried to give me a hug, but I pulled away, seeing as Erica was also there. (boom get recked) Zoe opened the door, and the guards charged in, only to be shot with sedation darts. Mike shot them again, since he didn't know about the booby trap.

     "Don't worry, they're sedation darts," said Mike, grinning from ear to ear.

     I honestly didn't care what was in the guns. As long as they stopped the guards. I heard Joshua scream in the background and I knew it was time to go. We rushed through the hallways and out the hotel. There was no way I was staying in the hotel. As we ran out, doors flung open and people began to chase us. Including a few familiar faces. 

     "Looks like we underestimated how many operatives were here. I think 90% of residents here are SPYDER agents. And 9% are arm dealers that SPYDER is working with," said Erica.

     "What about the other percent?" I asked.

     "Why, that's us!"

     Looks like we were actually completely alone. No CIA, no MI6, not even any innocents. Just us and SPYDER. The final showdown. There was no turning back from this.

     We left the hotel and almost killed a taxi driver. We told him we were in a rush and that we would double his payment if he got us there in under 25 minutes. Maybe we shouldn't have told him that. The speedometer didn't drop below 75 the entire time.

     We got to our destination, which was a new hotel, that we hoped wasn't filled with SPYDER agents, but none of us were sure.

     "I told you, I scanned all of the names. None of them are SPYDER," said Cyrus, obviously annoyed with how paranoid we were.

     "Did you do that with the other hotel?" I asked.

     "Well..."

     We got back to the hotel and Zoe immediately asked if I was okay. I told her I was fine, but she just wouldn't leave it alone. God, she was so clingy. Erica heard Zoe doing this, and I thought I saw a glare, but I must've been mistaken. Erica? Jealous? What a joke. But then she also asked if I was okay, and my heart skipped a beat. Maybe I really was thawing the "Ice Queen."

     I sighed. I didn't want to get my hopes up, because every time I did, things would be horribly wrong. But it was impossible not to smile. I had just escaped from an impossible situation.

     I should've listened.

A/N: My endings are so repetitive, I know. It all just ends with "And that was my fatal mistake" but Idk how to end.

Any suggestions?

Vote goal: 13
People saying update goal: 9

We barely got last one, so I don't think we'll get this one.