four

●•

it was a late shift, and jeno wanted to do nothing but sleep at this time at night. he was tired, bored, sleepy, and mostly, tired.

if he was to be honest, he would rather work anywhere else but this convenience store. it was boring and lonely, especially since he today got the late shift at night until morning. he graduated from college with a degree in film study, but he hadn't been able to snatch up any behind work in gigs, so he was waiting until he got a stable job to quit the part time work he was doing now.

but between this and his occasional modelling gigs he's offered from his friend, jungwoo, he's doing pretty well financially. albeit sometimes missing rent, he always manages to pay and even have a bit extra for his own savings, minus his living cost.

he was quite jealous of his friends, jaemin and renjun, both already got steady paths ahead of them. while jaemin worked as a photographer in a studio, renjun was currently an intern at an advertising company.

to be honest, it was partly his fault that he was half unemployed. film study was one of a risky major, having needed to have luck on their side to get a steady job for the major. but since he was a little boy, he had wanted to be behind the scenes of a movie, whether one directing, producing, writing, or editing.

sighing, he slumped down on his seat and scrolled on his phone, waiting for the bell to ding and signal a customer at this late hour.

ring!

"welcome-" his word cut short when he met eyes with her. his tired eyes slightly widened as he wasn't really expecting the company, and by the way her eyes did the same, she certainly didn't expect him either.

"so the convenience store does open 24 hours." yura spoke, confirming his statement from last time.

he scoffed. "yeah, but last time the part timer couldn't make it and there was no one to cover her shift, so we had no choice but to close it."

she nodded in understanding, pulling her wallet out of her pocket. "a pack of zest please." she told, eyes shifting towards the shelf behind him.

jeno turned around, grabbing the cigarette pack she ordered and placing it on the counter. he raised an eyebrow. "you smoke?"

she shrugged, not really feeling to answer his question.

"how about esse? it's the from the same brand but it's cheaper." he offered, switching the topic smoothly before it becomes awkward.

she sighed and nodded. "well why not?"

he nodded, switching the pack for one similar size to it. "that'll be three thousand won."

yura handed the exact amount of money, mumbling a small thanks before exiting the store. as before, she sat herself down in one of the metal tables outside the store, lighting up a cigarette.

after a short while debating, jeno grabbed a can of cold beer before walking out the store. he sat on the opposite of her, not even sparing a glance at each other, and he enjoyed his beer while she took a few hits.

"mm?" he turned to her, seeing her offer a cigarette to him.

shaking his head in response, he turned away. "i don't smoke."

she shrugged, closing the pack and placing it on the table as if saying 'your loss'. "when do your shift end?"

the question made him turn to her in puzzlement, raising an eyebrow as he sipped his beer. "why do you ask?"

"well maybe i wanna be a good friend and hand until your shift ends."

"liar."

she gave him a light glare, but turned away. "i just don't wanna go home yet."

he nodded, staying quiet. "and it ends in an hour to answer your question."

yura nodded in response, catching his answer.

the two sat in comfortable silence, one sipping his beer while the other smoked a cigarette. they didn't make any effort for a conversation yet, but they didn't seem to mind each other's presence.

"did you break up with that asshole?"

she peeked at him lightly, biting her lower lip. "..not yet."

jeno turned to her, a flat look on his face. "dumbass." his response was short, simple, and understandable, and she was not at all offended, as she agreed also.

she sighed. "i still love him."

"but does he?" he blurted out in light frustration, shaking his head with a sigh when she gave him a baffled look. "sorry, that came out too harsh."

she nodded, looking away. "it's alright."

truly, she was a bit taken aback. but she wasn't at all mad at him, because she herself is wondering the same thing.