thirty

°○

the blinding sunlight shone through the curtains, meeting the eyes of the barely awake yura. she winced, squinting away when the sunlight hit her pupil suddenly. rubbing her eyes, she pushed herself up to a sitting position.

her head pounded, it ached.

"oh, you're awake?"

she winced, hearing his voice pound to her ears unpleasantly. "not so loud, please." she whispered hoarsely, eyes still closed while she waved him off.

jeno chuckled, amused. "did you remember everything from last night?" he asked.

she bit her lip, face reddening. "a bit." she answered after a while.

he smiled. "come here, i made breakfast."

she got up, rubbing her eyes as she sat herself down a chair on the kitchen counter. resting her cheek in the palm of her hand, she yawned, looking down at the plate jeno had given to her. still tired, she gave him a grin. "thank you."

he nodded, sitting across from her and the two enjoyed their breakfast. it was of a simple plate of pancakes and a glass of milk, but it was enough to fill her hunger.

"does your head hurt?" he asked, looking up at her in concern.

she winced, knowing she can't lie about it. "uh, kinda." she admitted, not really wanting to burden him.

"wait here, i'll grab a medicine." he told, then climbed off his bench to walk to his shelf.

"don't worry," she interrupted, tugging on the sleeve of his wrist to stop him. with an assuring smile, she shook her head. "i'll have some later, after we finish."

he sighed, a smile on his face. "fine." and so the two continued eating silently.

"uh, jeno," she talked, voice a bit hoarse, "about last night.." yura lost her voice after the sentence, she didn't know what to say.

he stayed silence, wanting to see where this leads to. was she referring to her drunken state? or was it her story?

as if reading his mind, she continued with a sigh. "um, the thing about my p-parents," she stumbled on her words, avoiding his eyes as she unconciously bit her lip. "c-can you please.. keep it a secret?"

he chuckled, amused. "of course, don't worry." he smiled at her, patting her head. the action made her freeze, and she could feel a reaction in her chest as she felt his hand on her head.

"t-thanks."

he sent her another of his charming eye smiles and grabbed her plate when she said she was done. he began walking to the faucet when she got up and ran up to him nervously.

"i-i'll help you!" she said when she realized what he was doing.

"nah, it's alright."

she glared at him, making him chuckle. the two lightly bickered for a while, until finally the boy gave up with a sigh and gave her rubber gloves. the two washed their dishes in silence, not really knowing what to say.

"if you don't mind me asking," his voice cut the air between them, "who else knows.. about your parents?"

she didn't seem to mind the question, continuing to wash the plates without any certain reaction. "ten knows, but that's it." she told.

he nodded, and continued to wash the plates.

"what time is it?" she asked as they finished drying the dishes, turning to him in confusion.

he looked at his phone, checking the time. "a bit past eight," he told, looking up to meet her eyes.

she nodded, taking off her gloves. "i've got to go to work," she said, then looked down at herself, and her expression scrunched into one of disgust. "i smell like beer."

jeno laughed at her statement. "you can shower if you want? i have an extra toothbrush as well," he offered.

she smiled up at him. "is that okay?"

he nodded, beginning to walk her through his apartment. he gave her a towel and a new toothbrush, and he left the bedroom to leave her to her own. before she could go into the bathroom though, he stepped inside again with a sheepish smile.

"sorry, i forgot to give you this," he told, scratching the back of his head. "you can wear this if your shirt smells."

"uh, i-" before she could protest, as if knowing that she would, he left the room. she stared at the black hoodie on the bed, her lips tugging upwards.

after she showered, she changed into her previous pair of pants, which thankfully smelled decent without a hint of alcohol, and into his hoodie. her hair was dry because she decided not to wash it, as it wasn't in bad condition, and she didn't want to waste his shampoo.

she stepped out of the bathroom, her previous shirt in her hand, and spotting herself in the mirror, she couldn't help but laugh. she drowned in his hoodie, the sleeves reaching quite far past her hands and it reaching down to half her thighs.

yura exited the room, and meeting eyes with jeno, he had the same reaction as her. he can't help the bubble of laughter that escaped his lips as he spotted her appearance.

"you look cute."

his short compliment was enough to send her blushing, and she covered her face with her oversized sleeves in embarassment. he laughed more seeing her reaction, and he ruffled her hair fondly.

"w-well i'll be off to work," she announced in a rushed voice, not handling any more embarassment, "thanks so much for everything."

he nodded. "i'll walk you there."

"you haven't even showered." she can't help but tease, smiling at him.

he laughed amusedly. "i showered earlier." he defended, making her chuckle. "come on, i'm off to work too anyways."

sighing, she nodded. "alright."