twenty seven

●•

"you changed your hair." was the first thing jeno blurted out when he saw the familiar face go through the store door.

her eyes widened a bit, not expecting the company, and she smiled at him with a chuckle. "yeah. do you like it?" she asked, nervous for some reason.

jeno smiled, his eyes turning to crescents. "it suits you." he told truthfully, staring at her now reddish locks.

she hid the blush on her face, turning away, and cleared her throat. "uh, i'll get a pack of esse."

his gaze flattened, and with a sigh, he grabbed a pack of gum and checked it out instead.

"oh come on," she whined childishly, a pout on her face.

"you are not smoking another cigarette on my watch," he said, giving her a warning look, "and i thought you agreed that you're gonna try to stop smoking."

she bit her lip. "well.. yea, but-"

"no buts." he interrupted, checking out the pack of gum. "anything else?"

she shook her head. on one hand, she was grateful he cared enough to not let her buy cigs, on the other hand, she badly needed a cig. "why are you on the day shift anyway?" she asked, glancing at the sky outside, and it was indeed, still early evening.

"my co worker wanted to switch shifts for today, she's got a baby shower or something." he explained, ripping the bill and giving her the pack. "can you wait for me to finish my shift in a bit?"

she tilted her head. "when does your shift finish?" she asked, pocketing the gum after paying.

"in about five minutes actually." he told, just when another person entered the store.

she nodded, a bit confused as to why, but obeyed and sat herself outside the store. the five minutes she spent scrolling on her phone, liking random pictures of dogs, while chewing her gum to supress the desire for a cigarette.

the door opened, making yura turn and smile to him as he approached her.

"what is it?" she asked, tilting her head in confusion.

he smiled, the view making her heart stop a bit. without a word, he grabbed her hand and started walking.

"where are we going?" she asked, not a hint of worry in her tone, and instead sounding more confused than ever.

he turned to her. "you wanna watch a movie?" he asked.

she smiled, nodding with a shrug. "why not?"

.

.

°○

the movie they chose was an action movie, it wasn't really well known so the theater didn't have many people other than them. jeno turned to the girl, finding that she was so caught in the movie that she wasn't even blinking. she only watched quietly while occasionally munching on a handful of popcorn.

he chuckled inaudibly, finding her actions cute.

when the movie was over, the two got up from their seats and walked out the theater, throwing out the empty popcorn cup to a recycling bin.

"where are we going next?" she smiled at him, in which he returned with one of his own.

he hummed, thinking a bit. "you in the mood for ice cream?" he asked, turning to her, and she immediately responded with an excited nod.

and so the two of them walked side by side, smooth chatter amongst them while occasional laughs escaped their lips. as the two walked along the sidewalk, one store in particular caught yura's eye.

it was in between a café and a game store, it was a record store. tugging on jeno's hand, she looked up at him. "can we stop by that store first?" she asked, eyes wide, a hopeful tone in her voice.

he shrugged with the same smile. "let's go."

the two walked into the store, bowing at the cashier before exploring through the aisles. the store was relatively small but it had a warm feeling as its shelves were decorated with vinyls and antiques.

"what are you going to get?" he asked, turning to her with a raised eyebrow.

she shrugged, flipping through the vinyls section. "i'm thinking of getting a frank ocean for ten, don't have enough money to buy for my own though." she told, eyes scanning the covers.

"pick one, i'll buy it for you."

she turned to him with slightly widened eyes, but shook her head with a smile after. "nah, it's alright."

"just do it. consider it an early birthday gift." he said, a joking tone in his voice.

she laughed. "my birthday's not until may, eye smile." she pointed out, gaining a new nickname for him, which he chuckled at.

"how did you and ten meet?" he asked, flipping through the covers as well.

"we met by chance, actually," she started, pulling a vinyl to take a good look at it, "i was stuck in the rain under a bus stop, and he was the only other person there," pausing, she frowned, "he was crying."

"he was shivering and all, so i felt bad and took him in to my apartment, this was before i moved in with my ex." she explained, reminiscing the memories.

he turned to her, tilting his head. "you're not worried? inviting a stranger to your home?"

she shrugged. "nah. i can tell that he wasn't acting and he was genuinely sad."

jeno nodded in understanding. "why was he crying?"

she smiled sadly. "it's not my story to tell."