twenty one

°○

"there, perfect!" shuhua clapped her hands as she put down the lipstick on her dresser. she inspected the girl up and down, then grinned in satisfaction. "you look amazing, unnie."

yura faced the body mirror, examining her features that she was surprised looked sharper than usual. she usually isn't one for makeup, and although she enjoys fashion, she's not very confident in style, which is why she often chooses to keep it simple.

shuhua, on the other hand, is one for beauty brands. which is why she was the one she turned to for tonight's dinner.

yura was wearing an elegant white dress that reached above her knees, along with a gold colored purse and black heels. her brown hair was in a half up style, some curls purposefully let loose in front of her face, baby hair decorating on her forehead.

"damn," shuhua breathed out, "if you swing my way, i'd definitely date you."

the older girl laughed, turning to the girl with a grateful smile. "thank you for this, shuhua."

she smiled back, shaking her head. "it's no problem, unnie," she assured, then lightly pushed her to the door, "now go, break that asshole's heart like the bad bitch you are."

yura nodded, walking out the door with one last goodbye, and ordered for a car to drive her to the restaurant. she had told her boyfriend she had somewhere else to be beforehand, and for him to meet her there.

the restaurant was fancy, unlike the ones they've eaten at before. it was an italian restaurant, a fluorescent light of yellow shining the name on top of the roof. she spotted a few people in dresses and tuxes, so she was quite relieved to find she wasn't overdressed for this one.

she paid the driver, thanking him before exiting the car.

to say she was nervous wasn't an existential discovery, her heart was beating intensely and sweat began gathering in her palms. nonetheless she pushed through, entering the restaurant in a calm manner.

"table for two?" the receptionist asked kindly, a smile on her face.

yura smiled at her. "actually, i think he should be here already." she told, then her eyes wandered to look for him. they stopped when she spotted the familiar face, then smiled at the receptionist. "yes, he's there already. excuse me."

the receptionist nodded, grabbing a menu and following the girl as she headed to the table.

her boyfriend looked up when he felt her presence approach. his eyes widened as he took in her appearance, a smile growing on her face. "hey," he greeted, standing up to peck her on her lips, "you look amazing."

yura smiled at him, thanking him before sitting across from him. the two recieved their menus before inspecting their choices.

a waiter came to take their orders, and each of them stated their choices. as the waiter left, her boyfriend turned to her.

"you dressed up for tonight," he said, tone softer, "you look beautiful."

she smiled, nodding. "thank you," she breathed, looking at him, "you did as well."

he looked down onto his white button up and tuxedo pants, shyly smiling at her. "compared to you, i'm underdressed."

glad you noticed, she thought, but smiled instead. "don't be like that, you look great." she said, an assuring tone in her voice.

their meals soon arrived, and the two enjoyed their dishes in silence, an occasional comment thrown at each other. maybe she'd been oblivious, but that night, it was obvious to yura that the spark they had years ago had vanished. they no longer laughed the night away, they had no topic to talk about until the burst of dawn. they lost their chemistry.

yura wiped her mouth with the napkin gently, careful not to wipe the lipstick off her lips. she then turned to her boyfriend with a tight smile. the two finished their dish already, and they were sitting in silence.

"i have a present for you," she told, taking out a neat ribbon-tied box from the paper bag she brought. she gave him the box, recieving a smile from him.

"you don't have to," he said gently, smiling at her as he recieved the box.

she shook her head assuringly, smiling. "come on, open it."

and so he did. his eyes widened.

inside was the pictures of the cctv footage, placed neatly on top of a pile of stripped newspaper. it was decorated like an innocent gift of jewelry, but they both know it was far from one.

"was our five years nothing to you?" she asked, face blank, voice flat. she was no longer the warm character that had smiled at him every now and then, she changed.

he stayed quiet, staring at the pictures in horror.

"i knew." she said, making him raise his gaze at her. "i knew since a month ago. i came to surprise you on our anniversary, but instead i came across a pair of panties and a ripped t shirt that wasn't mine."

"you wasted five years of my time." she glared at him, voice low. "i regret ever loving you, now that i know it was never sincere. are you that oblivious that i had been acting different? or am i just not worth your worries?"

he was still silent, eyes on the table, like he didn't know what to say. she scoffed, crossing her arms.

"you're so selfish." she was taken aback hearing his voice, but she kept composed. "you're so self absorbed and egoistical that you didn't notice how i'm always unhappy around you, yura."

"i got bored of you years ago," he admitted, eyes cold, "but i stayed because i know how much you loved me. it got me a place to live, so i can't complain."

"if your boyfriend cheated on you after five years, evaluate yourself."

she didn't register what she was doing, but all she knew was that she raised her glass of wine and threw the liquid into his face. the people around them gasped, watching the scene unfold.

"you're a fucking monster," she whispered lowly, glaring harsh at him, "i want your things out of my apartment by tomorrow, if i find it's still there, i'm burning them."

she stood up, staring him down. "we're over, seonghwa."

then she started to walk away, but paused after a couple of steps.

"oh yeah, remember when i said tonight was my treat?" she talked, turning to him. "i lied. pay for your own meals, you fucking child."

and then she left.